• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rate Schema and Bank Interest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Rate Schema and Bank Interest

What do people make of this ...

http://www.shout99.com/contractors/s...;id=51209;n=10

QDOS say you must put bank interest down when calculating Flat Rate VAT and enclosed text from an HMRC letter they were sent on the subject.

There was a thread a while ago where the concensus was you -don't- put down bank interest when calculating FRS. My accountants have never mentioned ban k interest, I also have an old SJD spreadsheet and that appears to ignore bank interest as well as far as I can see.

Any thoughts?

Send the above link to your current accountants and SJD. Ask them to explain why there's a discrepancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
      I also have an old SJD spreadsheet and that appears to ignore bank interest as well as far as I can see.

Any thoughts?
      Was doing my SJD spreadsheet yesterday and there is a column for bank interest in it. Whether they use that in the FRS calculation bit I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        Was doing my SJD spreadsheet yesterday and there is a column for bank interest in it. Whether they use that in the FRS calculation bit I have no idea.
        It didn't have any effect to the FRS amount as far as I could tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
          Send the above link to your current accountants and SJD. Ask them to explain why there's a discrepancy.
          I'll certainly mail my current accountants just wondered what everyone else does. I can't find the long thread where loads of people told the poster who had included his bank interest that he was wrong! But I found this ...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...light=interest

Comment

I talked to my accountant about this a year or so ago and he said not to include it.

There have also been various discussions on bulletin boards about this. From what I can remember you can get different interpretations of whether its included or not even from HMRC.

Comment

See this thread

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-question.html

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                Ahh, that's the one I was looking for earlier! My accountants say not to include bank interest so I'll follow their advice .... odd that QDOS were told otherwise though.

Comment

I cannot see how VAT would be due on interest, as someone has already said, VAT is not charged on interest in the first place.

Comment

I was with PlanIT and they never included it in FRS!

Also, it doesn't make sense. You charge your client VAT for services provided. Bank interest does not have VAT applied in any way shape or form?

Comment

Working...
                    X