• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A spot of assistance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A spot of assistance

Morning folks, I am returning to contracting (IT) after many years of permie work . Once upon a time, in the good old days, you could have some sort of fairly lightweight relationship with an agency, have a bit of a chat about a prospect, trundle off for an interview and get underway without too much trouble. I've been trawling through (mainly) CWJOBS in the past week or so, and I am troubled and confused. Can I ask you experienced types a few questions ?

First off, I applied for several positions via the website, filled in the little panel for 'covering letters', attached a CV, and press the button. All very straightforward, but nary a peep was heard for any of them. Is it a CV trawling device ? Do these jobs exist ?

Secondly, within a very short period of time, I realised that in many cases the job description seemed to be assembled by someone with only rudimentary understanding of what I/we all do for a living (the first indicator being excessive use of capital letters, and the second being complex split infinitives). The question here is if you were an (bona fide) employer, wouldn't you want a shortlist of suitably qualified candidates, and if so, how can that ever happen if the middle men don't get it ?

Thirdly, am I going about this the wrong way?

Fourthly, has anyone else had a call from 'Harry' at Global something or other, who has a hot prospect but needs to check who else you have applied to first, and then needs to check who you've been working for (name/company)?

All advice re finding work in the modern economy gratefully received.

Originally posted by backonyourheads View Post
    Fourthly, has anyone else had a call from 'Harry' at Global something or other, who has a hot prospect but needs to check who else you have applied to first, and then needs to check who you've been working for (name/company)?

That's just SO funny. Are you sure you've been contracting in the past?

The rest of your post is the way it usually stands. You can get experienced enough at some point to filter out the cv scavengers, but even then it would help to call the agency to make sure.

As for agents not understanding our line of work -- that too is normal. After all, if they were able to understand, they would be doing it. Like the sayign goes, those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

It's not a great time to get back into contracting though - you'll find much has changed since the good ol' days. Plus the market isn't hot right now.
    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 19 May 2008, 10:47.

Comment

I remember the good old days when EITHER one had to be good at job OR had to get on well with people. Seems these days one has to do both.

Shame as I am bad at both.

Comment

When applying for jobs throught Jobserve etc... I tend to go directly to yhe aganecy from the Ad.
        So I'll ring the agent directly and get their direct email address, if the gig seems genuine then I'll email my CV (adjusted to fit the requirements of the gig) and then ring the agent straight back.
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

When using those job sites, i just pepper gun my CV around... eventually an agent will call back with something worthwhile, usually about a completely different job!
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

I used to have a 'that job is mine' attitude.

Due to a process of evolution, possibly natural selection or survival of the fittest, my attitude is now
            'I'll take anything'

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
            X