• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Restrictions in secure sites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restrictions in secure sites

Hi Peeps,
    I was just wondering what kind of restrictions you guys working on secure sites (.gov) face in terms of phones and electronic devices. I've found a sponsor willing to put me through DV clearance and wanted a heads up on what I can expect when / if I get to site.

I'm used to working in very open environments and regularly listen to music from the internet during the working day.

Am I going to get a big shock when I start?

Cheers,

NN
    It is better to be silent and thought of a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

It's just the same as any other civil service job. Except maybe the decor is even more crap.

If you've not worked a civil service job before then, hmmm...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      It's just the same as any other civil service job. Except maybe the decor is even more crap.

If you've not worked a civil service job before then, hmmm...
      I have, admittedly a long timne ago.

It had no coffee machine, nowhere to buy any, just a trolley that brought round coffee once in the morning, tea once in the afternoon. It was forbidden to make or bring your own.

Every document had to have 15 copies made. 9 were to file in various places, and the other 6 were to justify the cost of having our own photocopier.

The decor was battleship grey, except 1 filing cabinet that had been painted tangerine while the workplace quality budget lasted.

I'm really glad I worked there, it makes everywhere else seem like, well, a contrast.

Comment

All I remember is it taking 5 goes (minimum) to get the safe open in the morning.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

A few years ago, about 1998 I think, a friend of mine who worked as a secretary in a Home Office immigration department (and quite high up as I recall - he had his own plush office) mentioned that her boss wanted some software installed or upgraded on his PC. As I had a bootleg copy, I said that would be possible in theory, hardly believing anything would come of it.

But to my amazement she said we could go in at the weekend and install it, and sure enough we both spent half an hour on his PC installing this program (I forget what it was). But I could easily have dumped the entire contents of his PC onto an external disk if I'd been inclined, and who knows what goodies it might have contained. Apparently he was as pleased as punch the next week!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            I have, admittedly a long timne ago.

It had no coffee machine, nowhere to buy any, just a trolley that brought round coffee once in the morning, tea once in the afternoon. It was forbidden to make or bring your own.

Every document had to have 15 copies made. 9 were to file in various places, and the other 6 were to justify the cost of having our own photocopier.

The decor was battleship grey, except 1 filing cabinet that had been painted tangerine while the workplace quality budget lasted.

I'm really glad I worked there, it makes everywhere else seem like, well, a contrast.
            You're Harry Palmer, and I claim my five shillings' worth of luncheon vouchers

Comment

From my experience MoD sites that require SC= Phones, internet, own coffee, microwave, shops etc... kick back and relax.

Sites that require DV= No phone, no internet, arsy permy staff with delusions of self importance, swipe pass and enter pin for every bloody door, nice but expensive restaurant.

I always assumed DV attracted a higher rate because of the relative rarity, in reality it’s so you'll put up with all the mundane BS.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

generally.
                SC you cant carry your kit but nobody is likely to check.
                DV you cant carry your kit but somebody is likely to check.
                In either case I think you will have commited a criminal offence or two if you actualy use them to copy/record anything. Same applies to introducing software onto a PC, legitimate or otherwise.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Crap decor I can put up with but lack of coffee
                  It is better to be silent and thought of a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Comment

Furbies, they don't like furbies in the office.

But I think that is just an excuse, 'cause I had a wondrous furbie collection and the permies civil savants were like mega jealous.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X