• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Database of ALL phone calls and emails

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Database of ALL phone calls and emails

Phone calls database considered

Linky Here From the BBC

Ministers are to consider plans for a database of electronic information holding details of every phone call and e-mail sent in the UK, it has emerged.

The plans, reported in the Times, are at an early stage and may be included in the draft Communications Bill later this year, the Home Office confirmed.

A Home Office spokesman said the data is a "crucial tool" for protecting national security and prevent crime.

Ministers have not seen the plans which were drawn up by Home Office officials.

A Home Office spokesman said: "The Communications Data Bill will help ensure that crucial capabilities in the use of communications data for counter-terrorism and investigation of crime continue to be available.

"These powers will continue to be subject to strict safeguards to ensure the right balance between privacy and protecting the public."

The spokesman said changes need to be made to the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 "to ensure that public authorities can continue to obtain and have access to communications data essential for counter-terrorism and investigation of crime purposes".

A number of data protection failures in recent months, including the loss of a CD carrying the personal details of every child benefit claimant, have embarrassed the government.

The plans are likely to provoke outrage among civil liberty groups and some political figures.

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne called the proposals "an Orwellian step too far".

He said ministers had "taken leave of their senses if they think that this proposal is compatible with a free country and a free people".

"Given the appalling track record of data loss, this state is simply not to be trusted with such private information," said Mr Huhne.

I don't know where to begin to start with the above.

Technically, how would this be feasible ?
    Just how much storage would it take ? (Buying shares in HDD manufacturers might be a good idea).
    If it means every email, then that will also mean all attachments as well. Confidential stuff no doubt between companies, solicitors, private individuals, etc.
    How secure could they make this ?

All this to protect us from a handful of terrorists ?

Seems a bit overkill to me.

All that will happen if this even got off the ground is that the UK will plunge back in to the information dark ages and people stop using email and phones.

Anyway, it seems a bit of a pointless scattergun approach to get lucky and catch a few terrorists, who will no doubt conduct clandestine meetings face to face anyway. Net result, the whole of the UK is monitored to the eyeballs and terrorists walk around unhindered anyway.

I still cannot believe this proposal.

Why have a new law to target everyone, when the security services can get ISP data and phone information anyway from people under suspicion.

I'm beginning to wonder if the real terrorists are not the ones hiding behind beards with copies of the Koran and 4lbs of high explosives but the ones sitting in Whitehall....

I think I am perfectly justified to use, for the first time ever, my own...

DOOMED !
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 20 May 2008, 01:49. Reason: typos
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    All this to protect us from a handful of terrorists ?
    Doubt it, they'll be pay-as-you-go.

Comment

All this to justify an expensive upgrade at Menwith Hill, more like!

Comment

<Paranoia>The fact it's been announced means "They" probably already have it. </Paranoia>
        Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Originally posted by shelby68 View Post
          <Paranoia>The fact it's been announced means "They" probably already have it. </Paranoia>
          Menwith Hill...
          Goonhilly...
          Martlesham Heath...

Comment

Buy shares in ISPs that offer strong encryption.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hmmmm!
              Time for my plan b.
              Secure carrier pigeons.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Buy shares in ISPs that offer strong encryption.
                At one time (and is presumably still in affect) not giving away encyption keys was punishable by up to 10 years in jail.

Comment

Just how is this to be done? Does that mean that running a mail server is to be illegal or licensed? If the latter then isn’t demanding the logs from a group that is running their own mail server going to give the game away?

Any criminal or terrorist group that communicates using a means that this will detect deserves to be caught for being stupid.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Not sure 10 years is right. Anyway, this database will never see the light of day - guaranteed...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X