• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much does owning a rattly diesel save you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does owning a rattly diesel save you?

Well, here's some Pence Per Mile figures from Auto Express that includes depreciation and all running costs.

Assuming 1000 miles a month:

Diesel - Passat 2.0 TDI (170 BHP) 138 MPH 0-60 8.6 S = 58 PPM
    Petrol - Passat 2.0 Turbo (200 BHP) 146 MPH 0-60 7.7 S = 64 PPM

Saves 6p per mile or £60 a month (but it slower by a large margin)

Diesel - BMW 320d SE 143 MPH 0-60 7.9 S = 61 PPM
    Petrol - BMW 320i SE 142 MPH 0-60 8.2 S = 57 PPM

Costs 4p per mile more or £40 a month

Diesel - Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X (140 BHP) 130 MPH 0-60 9.2 S = 58 PPM
    Petrol - Ford Mondeo 2.0 Titanium X 130 MPH 0-60 9.7 S = 60 PPM

Saves 2p per mile or £20 a month

So you gain almost nothing and have a nose heavy car that sounds like a taxi and vibrates on long journeys.

Unless you are on a company car scheme why own a diesel in the UK?
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 20 May 2008, 10:15.

My diesel is 2.0 TDI /140 HP and averages 39. mpg . Yours ?

How exactly the petrol is less PPM than the diesel ? That is flawed...

Comment

An old Volvo on veg oil costs 20p a litre, so I have heard

Zeity
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Unless you are on a company car scheme why own a diesel in the UK?
        Becuase my diesel is faster than the equivalent petrol model.

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post

No it is not flawed, it is Auto Express figures for every car on sale in Britain.

1. Diesel costs 10p a litre more than petrol
          2. Most diesels cost more to buy and therefore you lose more money over 3 years ownership.
          3. Servicing costs of diesels is higher due to very expensive filters that must be changed.
          4. A modern petrol car is only around 10 MPG worse than the equivalent diesel.

Take all this into the true cost of running a car and your save almost nothing.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post

The key is in the question

figures from Auto Express that includes depreciation and all running costs.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              See above. The diesel is slower or about the same performance.

Comment

He drives an "Artic" I'd imagine there isn't an equivalent model...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  Until you reach a corner and realise how heavy that engine is out at the front.

Comment

Not if its a focus. The 1.8 TDCi engine was faster than the ST170 from 30-70 (aka real word driving).

Comment

Working...
                    X