• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to be a recipient of a Dircet Debit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to be a recipient of a Dircet Debit?

I'm going to be renting my house out and would like the renters to pay on direct debit.

The question is how do you do this as the recipient? Is it even possible for individuals to do?
    Last edited by gadgetman; 20 May 2008, 13:41.

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'm going to be renting my house out and would like the renters to pay on direct debit.

The question is how do you do this as the recipient? Is it even possible for individuals to do?
    Use a management agency!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

You have to be a company, not a fly-by-night landlord.

‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Open an account in Germany, direct debit is a piece of pie here...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Standing order is ok....

I'm not sure you'll be allowed to have payment via a DD.

Even small / medium sized companies have issues setting these up.

T

Comment

The process from when I used to work for a major bank dealing with such things would be:

- You need to approach your bank.
            - They will then need to gain approval for you to become a direct debit originator.
            - You must follow very strict rules including the design of the direct debit mandate (which necessitates the direct debit logo being an exact size).
            - You will need to provide an idemnity to the bank in order that if they have to reimburse your client under the direct debit guarantee, they can then obtain reimbursement from yourself.

If you are wanting to set up a direct debit for just one customer, then your bank will politely tell you "no chance" (or depending on the bank they may forego the politely bit).

Either using a management agency or get the tennent to set up a standing order (the difference being that the tennent can cancel / amend a standing order without your agreement).

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
              The process from when I used to work for a major bank dealing with such things would be:

- You need to approach your bank.
              - They will then need to gain approval for you to become a direct debit originator.
              - You must follow very strict rules including the design of the direct debit mandate (which necessitates the direct debit logo being an exact size).
              - You will need to provide an idemnity to the bank in order that if they have to reimburse your client under the direct debit guarantee, they can then obtain reimbursement from yourself.

If you are wanting to set up a direct debit for just one customer, then your bank will politely tell you "no chance" (or depending on the bank they may forego the politely bit).

Either using a management agency or get the tennent to set up a standing order (the difference being that the tennent can cancel / amend a standing order without your agreement).

HTH
              Him out of the Pet Shop Boys?
              Blood in your poo

Comment

The client can cancel a DD at anytime!

A standing order is exactly that; an order to the bank saying "PAY JOE 20GBP EVERY MONTH"

A direct debit is giving permission for a company to debit your account by an arbitary amount.

SO is a push.
                DD is a pull.

/The factual accuracy of this post may vary!
                B00med!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, Standing Order it is then!

FWIW I've found management agencies a complete waste of time and money.

Comment

Working...
                  X