• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"agency workers" to get "employment" rights after 12 weeks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"agency workers" to get "employment" rights after 12 weeks?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7410127.stm

So, is this going to apply to a Limited company providing services via an agency?

If so, Contracting.

KUATB

and again

Comment

and the consensus was:

A. This will apply to IT Contractors. Doomed.

B. There will be an opt out for IT Contractors / It won't apply. Boomed.

This is pretty important. Someone must know.

Comment

They were reporting on Shout99 that us disguised employees would not be included in the legislation, but until it is actually released, nobody will know. Personally I think that getting parity to permie wages after 12 weeks is a bad move as I couldn't afford the drop.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Please tell us

If you've opted out, surely you are safe. I'd like to see the look on the faces of those who were dead certain about 'opting-in'. Anyone here?

Comment

They are actually selling this law as something good for contractors ? i.e Agency workers "not being treated equally" is a bad thing they suggest. Hence need to change. WTF ?
            Last edited by Likely; 20 May 2008, 14:43.

Comment

Apparently (if the Government is to be believed) much of the impetus for this agency rights thing is to preempt an EU agency rights proposal currently being prepared (by Slovenia, of all tinpot countries )

Comment

I don't see how it can be enforced on Ltd Co Contractors. I am a full time employee of MyCo Ltd not a temp.
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

The EU angle is better covered <removed>

If any contractors are still EU fans, perhaps this will give them pause for thought.

Comment

Hmm.

I'm not really bothered about this. Infact it could be a good thing.

The way I see it the only people who are affected are people who want to basically be an employee but try and claim they are a business / contractor to get the money.

This could kill the need for agencies. If they prove too expensive the rise of the direct contract could be a good idea. I'm sure some enterprising young individual will work out a way of flogging ltd co services direct to client co without being an agency.

Otherwise then it would also be the end for enture and KPMG etc.

Boomed I say.

Comment

Working...
                    X