• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mad to consider perm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mad to consider perm?

me: senior-ish .NET developer, 5 years exp, in first contract (it's lasted nearly 2 years!), plenty of financial services exp, live in Birmingham.

been offered interview for ~50k (poss a bit more) perm job, working at home, with equity in the company, doing .NET-ish stuff.

what do the board make of this?

career-wise it probably ticks all the right boxes, and i wasnt considering walking away from contracting, but this, on the face of it, seems very tempting

go for it. Always nice to get in at the ground floor.

Comment

Well nobody else can answer this for you, only you will know what you want from the situation?

What is more important, money, security, prospects, home working? With so many variables in the equation it's impossible for anyone to give anything but their OWN personal preference or opinion on it.
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Are you considering it because of the "current climate" or because it looks like a good thing that you'd go for otherwise?
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
          me: senior-ish .NET developer, 5 years exp, in first contract (it's lasted nearly 2 years!), plenty of financial services exp, live in Birmingham.

been offered interview for ~50k (poss a bit more) perm job, working at home, with equity in the company, doing .NET-ish stuff.

career-wise it probably ticks all the right boxes, and i wasnt considering walking away from contracting, but this, on the face of it, seems very tempting
          When faced with difficult situations like this just think "what would AndyW do?"

Comment

all fair comments, especially about noone else being able to make the decision.

i think the thing that really appeals to me is the equity. without that i wouldn't look twice.

even still, i'm already getting cold feet, so i'm not sure it's a good idea. it'd mean a paycut and a lack of freedom.. also have my own 'plan B' on the go which may suffer.

if nothing else, it's useful to think out loud. can't really talk to any of my peer group about whether a 50k job opportunity would be a bad move because it's not enough money (i'd probably get punched)

not too worried about "current climate", my skillset is generic enough that i should always be able to find work of some sort.

Comment

Hell yeah!
              my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
                Not what I was expecting Ferret. Thought it would be a link to some BB type doom and encouraging him to go perm.

Comment

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post

Blooming heck. That would tempt anyone. mmm, I think I would go for that if it was me
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The working from home bit is the most tempting, and I would think that 50k is a good salary for .NET.

Comment

Working...
                    X