• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Divorcee's £600,000 plea of poverty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divorcee's £600,000 plea of poverty

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...f-poverty.html

Just another case where the father gets a good shoeing. No-one seems to care about the children of this poor chap. Anyone who gets married or has kids - you are a loser.

Lesson - dont get married, dont have kids.

My wife wanted maintenance for the rest of her life...

I asked her solicitor what I could expect in return...

Well, if your paying for it, you at least want some exercise...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      My wife wanted maintenance for the rest of her life...

I asked her solicitor what I could expect in return...

Well, if your paying for it, you at least want some exercise...
      Did you get a clean break?

I still pay maintenance - plus the ex got all the assets so I have a huge mortgage. And I pay the gf to look after the kids.

Case recently where a woman frittered away all the divorce money - 15 years later came back for a 2nd bite. She got a load more to fritter away.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Did you get a clean break?

I still pay maintenance - plus the ex got all the assets so I have a huge mortgage. And I pay the gf to look after the kids.

Case recently where a woman frittered away all the divorce money - 15 years later came back for a 2nd bite. She got a load more to fritter away.
        Who are you paying maintenance for? Her or the kids? My two step daughters both have highly paid jobs and are in their late twenties. I'll be buggered if I'll pay her to live the "Life of Riley" while I'm working my bollocks off!

Comment

Who are you paying maintenance for? Her or the kids? My two step daughters both have highly paid jobs and are in their late twenties. I'll be buggered if I'll pay her to live the "Life of Riley" while I'm working my bollocks off!
          Maintenance just for her. I got the child benefit split(twins - me and ex get 1 child each) to make sure she has no CSA claim. To claim child benefit you have to have the kids min 3 nights per week. CSA only operates up to 2 nights a week - but I wanted to be sure.

I would far rather have the kids than the money.

Comment

Maintenance just for her. I got the child benefit split(twins - me and ex get 1 child each) to make sure she has no CSA claim. To claim child benefit you have to have the kids min 3 nights per week. CSA only operates up to 2 nights a week - but I wanted to be sure.

I would far rather have the kids than the money.
            I agree, but can you explain why my ex-wife who has only ever worked part-time in the 25-plus years that I've known her, who has inherited a shed load of money from her family, has two houses, one of which is mine, can possibly justify maintenance?

My mate said he could sort it for a grand, I should've let him!

Comment

I agree, but can you explain why my ex-wife who has only ever worked part-time in the 25-plus years that I've known her, who has inherited a shed load of money from her family, has two houses, one of which is mine, can possibly justify maintenance?

My mate said he could sort it for a grand, I should've let him!
              I like easy questions - ooohhhhh yessssssssss.

It is because you are a man. If you had a sex change before the case then common sense would have prevailed. The law is fine - but has been applied in a totally sexist by by the secretive family courts.

Comment

I thought she lost that case?

I pay slightly more child maintenance to avoid paying spousal as, imho, she should pay her own way. I also got the nominal spousal changed from 'pay for life' to just the duration of the child maintenance.

All in all not too bad but you know you're shafted as soon as you step into the court house...
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                  I thought she lost that case?

I pay slightly more child maintenance to avoid paying spousal as, imho, she should pay her own way. I also got the nominal spousal changed from 'pay for life' to just the duration of the child maintenance.

All in all not too bad but you know you're shafted as soon as you step into the court house...
                  I believe she won - I have looked but cant find the case.

"not too bad" - you did very well. Your ex was badly advised - I take it the child maintenance is a court order? She should have gone to the CSA (courts can only intervene if both parties agree) and argued for more spousal. Nominal can always be upped - I have never heard of a clean break being overturned.

Comment

I believe she won - I have looked but cant find the case.

"not too bad" - you did very well. Your ex was badly advised - I take it the child maintenance is a court order? She should have gone to the CSA (courts can only intervene if both parties agree) and argued for more spousal. Nominal can always be upped - I have never heard of a clean break being overturned.
                    What about the "shotgun" gambit?

Comment

Working...
                    X