• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Found a bug ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a bug ....

Wasn’t me this time, but I sure know how this feels.

Internal Moody’s documents seen by the FT show that some senior staff within the credit agency knew early in 2007 that products rated the previous year had received top-notch triple A ratings and that, after a computer coding error was corrected, their ratings should have been up to four notches lower.
    FT: Moody’s error gave top ratings to debt products

It makes me wonder; what would the members of the congregation do if they found a bug that, when corrected, would cause major disruption to a company’s financial position or even the markets?
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Wasn’t me this time, but I sure know how this feels.

FT: Moody’s error gave top ratings to debt products

It makes me wonder; what would the members of the congregation do if they found a bug that, when corrected, would cause major disruption to a company’s financial position or even the markets?
    Depends how much I disliked the dev team...
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Find the test script that the business signed off. Print it out and frame it.

Comment

Never been in that situation but I think I would provide the information to the relevant permie and then let them decide what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Find the test script that the business signed off. Print it out and frame it.
          ^ His answer was way better than mine.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I have been in exactly this situation with a FTSE 100 company.

Background.

Board of directors of this PLC received monthly reports from old IT system for many years showing share holdings, interested parties, beneficial owners and who is buying and selling. This report was key to board level decision making.

My team was tasked with replacing this old system with a shiny new one from scratch.

After migrating the old data and running the new reports, the figures were very different.

Turns out the old system had several subtle bugs that resulted in misleading reports.

Result

Department head was tulipting himself. There was no way he could give them the new system as they would compare with old and see the big differences on the reports.

Therefore I was tasked with building in similar "bugs" into the new systems logic to ensure the reports matched.

The board of directors never new.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Background.

Board of directors of this PLC received monthly reports from old IT system for many years showing share holdings, interested parties, beneficial owners and who is buying and selling. This report was key to board level decision making.

My team was tasked with replacing this old system with a shiny new one from scratch.

After migrating the old data and running the new reports, the figures were very different.

Turns out the old system had several subtle bugs that resulted in misleading reports.

Result

Department head was tulipting himself. There was no way he could give them the new system as they would compare with old and see the big differences on the reports.

Therefore I was tasked with building in similar "bugs" into the new systems logic to ensure the reports matched.

Staggering.

He should have got you to program a subtle date based change which would bring the reports in line over an 18 month period. Directors really would have no chance then...
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

BAs = bl00dy arshes

Don't think it was a 'coding error' (would have been easily spotted) , more like an incorrect 'business scenario' (I am referring to Moody's here). I have seen many in my time.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Background.

Result

LOL. reminds me of this story. They had a system for info, but secretly didnt trust it

http://www.pointpark.edu/files/mba58...twonthewar.pdf

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    He should have got you to program a subtle date based change which would bring the reports in line over an 18 month period. Directors really would have no chance then...
                    This is the first thing that comes to my mind too. Senior management, especially the board of directors need sensitive care and feeding. However, with all these increasing level of audits and legislation such things would get me sent back to pokey.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X