• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

backpack or traditional laptop case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backpack or traditional laptop case

considering getting a backpack to carry laptop in and ditching my traditional plastic bag

are they any good or are the normal laptop bags better ?

my thoughts were backpack laptop lower profile so less likely to be nicked
    Last edited by mrdonuts; 21 May 2008, 15:51.

If you're somewhere where you're likely to get held up, go for a normal bag with a laptop protector inside.

If you've got a behemoth laptop, you might find a laptop case stresses your back in one direction - lots of visits to the chiropractor.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

i couldn't function without my laptop backpack. my techair finally failed on me last week. i reckon it has done at least 482 flights... the bottom corners have been wearing a bit thin of late and then suddenly the zippers started giving up. i bought a "jansport wheeled optimizer airlift rucksack" to replace it. guaranteed for 30 years but if it gives me 5 years i'll be happy. bit on the big side perhaps but i like the fact that i can wheel it about or sling it over my shoulder. the traditional black bags are a bit too formal for my liking and don't tend to cater for anything other than business items whereas i need to carry my life around.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
        i couldn't function without my laptop backpack. my techair finally failed on me last week. i reckon it has done at least 482 flights... the bottom corners have been wearing a bit thin of late and then suddenly the zippers started giving up. i bought a "jansport wheeled optimizer airlift rucksack" to replace it. guaranteed for 30 years but if it gives me 5 years i'll be happy. bit on the big side perhaps but i like the fact that i can wheel it about or sling it over my shoulder. the traditional black bags are a bit too formal for my liking and don't tend to cater for anything other than business items whereas i need to carry my life around.
        You need to get out more.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
          Yeah, get a backpack and take it round South America without a laptop in it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
            considering getting a backpack to carry laptop in and ditching my traditional plastic bag

are they any good or are the normal laptop bags better ?

my thoughts were backpack laptop lower profile so less likely to be nicked
            Depends on weight of laptop, your height and build, whether you carry laptop around on public transport or do lots of walking around with it.

If you carry it around on public transport i.e. train and tube some stupid f***er will accidentally fall on it or put their foot on it if it's in a rucksack as you are going to have to put it on the floor. They don't seem to do that with traditional laptop bags.

And it makes no difference to thieves whether it's in a bag or a rucksack as the rucksack bags are easy to identify as most people seem to have the same ones.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And it makes no difference to thieves whether it's in a bag or a rucksack as the rucksack bags are easy to identify as most people seem to have the same ones.

always been concerned that someone would be able to snatch a laptop bag but if its a backpack on my back then it will be a case of "from my cold dead hand (or back in this case)"

Comment

I use a laptop bag to carry my umbrella and an apple to work.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                  Get out more? DS3 says he's done "at least 482 flights", and you can't get out much more than that, short of hiring a space shuttle.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                    always been concerned that someone would be able to snatch a laptop bag but if its a backpack on my back then it will be a case of "from my cold dead hand (or back in this case)"
                    You'd be surprised how quickly and easily they do it these days, stanley knife through a weak spot on the sholder straps and they are away with it....

(Saw it on telly)
                    Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                    X