• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Myth of Moderate Christianity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Myth of Moderate Christianity

What a nice moderate lot these so-called "Christians" are:

Pat Buchanan:
    Our culture is superior. Our culture is superior because our religion is Christianity and that is the truth that makes men free.
    Speech to the Christian Coalition, September 1993

David Chilton:
    The god of Judaism is the devil. The Jew will not be recognized by God as one of His chosen people until he abandons his demonic religion and returns to the faith of his fathers - the faith which embraces Jesus Christ and His Gospel.
    The Days of Vengeance: An Exposition of the Book of Revelation (1984)

Ann Coulter:
    We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.
    Newspaper Column, September 2001.

Gary DeMar:
    The long term goal [is] the execution of abortionists and parents who hire them. If we argue that abortion is murder, then we must call for the death penalty.
    Ruler of the Nations (1987)

Jerry Falwell:
    If we are going to save America and evangelize the world, we cannot accommodate secular philosophies that are diametrically opposed to Christian truth.
    "Moral Majority Report," September, 1984.

The decline in American pride, patriotism, and piety can be directly attributed to the extensive reading of so-called 'science fiction' by our young people. This poisonous rot about creatures not of God's making, societies of 'aliens' without a good Christian among them, and raw sex between unhuman beings with three heads and God alone knows what sort of reproductive apparatus keeps our young people from realizing the true will of God.
    "Can Our Young People Find God in the Pages of Trashy Magazines? No, Of Course Not!" Reader's Digest, Aug. 1985: p142-157.

D. James Kennedy:
    This is our land. This is our world. This is our heritage, and with God's help, we shall reclaim this nation for Jesus Christ. And no power on earth can stop us.
    Character & Destiny: A Nation in Search of Its Soul (1994)

Francis J. Lally:
    The Church doesn't believe in book-burning, but it believes in restricting the use of dangerous books among those whose minds are unprepared for them.

The Church has through the centuries, understood that ideas are really more dangerous than other weapons. Their use should be restricted.
    Francis J. Lally, American Roman Catholic Monsignor. Interview with Mike Wallace, 1958.

Joseph Morecraft:
    Nobody has the right to worship on this planet any other God than Jehovah. And therefore the state does not have the responsibility to defend anybody's pseudo-right to worship an idol.
    Rev. Joseph Morecraft, Chalcedon Presbyterian Church, "Biblical Role of Civil Government" speech delivered on August 21, 1993 at the Biblical Worldview and Christian Education Conference.

Gary North:
    So let us be blunt about it: We must use the doctrine of religious liberty to gain independence for Christian schools until we train up a generation of people who know that there is no religious neutrality, no neutral law, no neutral education, and no neutral civil government. Then they will be get busy in constructing a Bible-based social, political and religious order which finally denies the religious liberty of the enemies of God. This is God's world, not Satan's. Christians are the lawful heirs, not non-Christians.
    "The Intellectual Schizophrenia of the New Christian Right" in Christianity and Civilization: The Failure of the American Baptist Culture, No. 1 (Spring, 1982), p. 25.

The long-term goal of Christians in politics should be to gain exclusive control over the franchise. Those who refuse to submit publicly to the eternal sanctions of God by submitting to His Church's public marks of the covenant - baptism and holy communion - must be denied citizenship, just as they were in ancient Israel.
    Political Polytheism: The Myth of Pluralism (1989)

Bailey Smith:
    With all due respect to those dear people, my friend, God Almighty does not hear the prayer of a Jew.
    Bailey Smith, a founder of Pat Robertson's Christian Coalition, speaking during a Religious Roundtable briefing in Dallas, Texas, on June 26, 1994

Randall Terry:
    What this is coming down to is who runs the country. It's us against them. It's the good guys versus the bad guys. It's the God-fearing people against the pagans, and some of the pagans are going to church.
    Speech in Jackson, Mississippi, April 1992

Randall Terry:
    I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good... Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a biblical duty, we are called on by God to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want pluralism.
    The News Sentinel, (Fort Wayne, Indiana), August 16, 1993.

The next step, if at all humanly possible (and in 90% of the cases it is), it is to get our children out of the humanistic, brianwashing institution called `public education.' Frankly, it is a mixture of insanity and irresponsibility to turn our children over to our adversaries and their curriculum in a God-less education system (i.e., a system that teaches history and science without God).
    Why Does a Nice Guy Like Me Keep Getting Thrown in Jail? (1993)

When I, or people like me, are running the country, you'd better flee, because we will find you, we will try you, and we'll execute you. I mean every word of it. I will make it part of my mission to see to it that they are tried and executed.
    Randall Terry, founder of Operation Rescue. Speech before the U.S. Taxpayers Alliance on doctors who perform abortions. August 8, 1995

James Watt:
    My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns. We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand.
    James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Ronald Reagan. Washington Post, May 24, 1981.

buchanan

well those guys are as dangerous as the enflamed muftis and ayatollahs.

Comment

true

Originally posted by sappatz
      well those guys are as dangerous as the enflamed muftis and ayatollahs.
      And the Bush administration does not deviate much from the quoted persons philosophies.
      There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

anyone who promotes mindless violence should be put up against a wall and shot
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I half agree with your comparison. Sort of.

As I have said before, fundamentalist Christianity is currently far more of a potential threat to world freedom than Islam is. Not because it is somehow intrinsically worse, but because, at present anyhow, the Christians have all the real power. The finger on the trigger of the world's biggest nuclear arsenal is Christian. The world's top major military powers are from the Christian tradition. By contrast, however terrible suicide bombs may seem, the threat is very small by comparison because Islam is the religion of poor and backward countries.

The inclusion of the word potential is important. Much as I dislike Bush and his even barmier advisors, they are very rational people compared to some Islamic fundamentalists. More importantly, they are mostly governed by practical worldy considerations (even if that is only winning the next election) not by something in a 1300 year old book.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Pat Buchanan:
            Our culture is superior. Our culture is superior because our religion is Christianity and that is the truth that makes men free.
            Speech to the Christian Coalition, September 1993
            Can't say as I disagree with Pat Buchanan in that quote.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Of course, I forgot one of the best quotes of recent days:

Chico:
              Thou shall not kill - Commandment. Full stop. Under the Law of Moses if you commit certain heinous crimes - death. That is a punishment. Big difference.
              Contractor UK Bulletin Board, 26/07/2005

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Can I have some of what he's smoking please?

Too late, I think he gave it all to this bloke:

The decline in American pride, patriotism, and piety can be directly attributed to the extensive reading of so-called 'science fiction' by our young people. This poisonous rot about creatures not of God's making, societies of 'aliens' without a good Christian among them, and raw sex between unhuman beings with three heads and God alone knows what sort of reproductive apparatus keeps our young people from realizing the true will of God.

Comment

Talking of gods etc. anyone else read Accelerando ?
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                    Talking of gods etc. anyone else read Accelerando ?
                    Sounds a bit like so-called "Science Fiction" to me. Any good so-called "Christians" in it?

Comment

Working...
                    X