• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fuel Duty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Duty

how long are we going to continue to keep paying the rising prices of fuel at the pumps

My local garage has Diesel at 1.22 litre but on the way to work today passed a BP garage with 1.29 litre. I'm sure we were all on strike when it hit 80p a littre so how has it managed to get up so high.

What i don't understand is it the fuel price that is rising of the tax ?

STRIKE STRIKE
    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l View Post
    how long are we going to continue to keep paying the rising prices of fuel at the pumps

My local garage has Diesel at 1.22 litre but on the way to work today passed a BP garage with 1.29 litre. I'm sure we were all on strike when it hit 80p a littre so how has it managed to get up so high.

STRIKE STRIKE
    Nowt wrong with a bit of profit.

BTW, wtf do you expect to happen?

Comment

not sure just venting my feelings.....
      Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
        The duty on fuel isn't rising, it's the price of oil that is rising and the costs are being pushed onto the forecourts. Ofcourse, the amount of VAT that Hector pulls in with his mucky paws is increasing too!
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I'm sure we were all on strike when it hit 80p a litre so how has it managed to get up so high.
          This time it's the sheer demand for oil, and particularly diesel, worldwide. There isn't enough supply, so prices are shooting up.

From Wiki:

Since the mid 1980s the inflation adjusted price of a barrel of crude oil on NYMEX had been generally under $25/barrel and was still at this level in September 2003. A series of events led the price to reach over $60 by August 11, 2005, surpass $75 in the summer of 2006, fall below $60/barrel by the early part of 2007, then rise steeply, reaching $92/barrel by October 2007 and $99.29/barrel for December futures in New York on November 21, 2007. Throughout the beginning of 2008, oil hit several new record highs. On February 29, 2008, oil prices hit an inflation-adjusted all-time peak at $103.05 per barrel, and reached $110.20 on March 12, 2008, the sixth record high in seven trading days. Oil prices reached to $126.20 a barrel on May 9, 2008 due to "heavy speculative buying by hedge funds." The most recent price per barrel maximum of $133.13 was reached on May 21st, 2008."
          I'm sure I heard them say 140 dollars a barrel on the radio this morning!!

There isn't really much leverage for a strike here. Any reduction in tax will be instantly swallowed up in price increases for the raw material.
          Last edited by dang65; 22 May 2008, 08:19.

Comment

Blame the Chinese. They are buying up everything these days.
            Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
              Blame the Chinese. They are buying up everything these days.
              Only a justifiable argument if you promise not to buy any products from China.
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

STRIKE STRIKE
                ??

We didn't strike. Some Farmers and truckers decided they run the country, not the government and held the rest of us to ransom (When the Miners tried that, Maggie coshed them). This was in response to the current government continuing with a fuel duty policy put in place by the last Conservative government.

I can't find reliable data, but I think you'll find that there has been little or no overall increase in motoring costs in real terms over the last 30 years - the problem is that fuel price rises tend to be sharp and come after periods or real terms falls. The real scandal is that public transport isn't cheaper and more reliable.

I am no fan of the current government and I didn't vote for them, but having some sort of daft strike ain't going to help anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  truckers decided they run the country
                  To be fiar we do.

The only saving grace for this country is that truckers never organised themselves into unions and they generally don't feel like striking.

If we did strike however this country would be ****ed inside 2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    (When the Miners tried that, Maggie coshed them).
                    I've heard that they're arming the former miners in preparation for the upcoming police strike. It's only fair.

Comment

Working...
                    X