• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LPG your motor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LPG your motor?

What with the cost of diesel and petrol going through the roof, anyone gone the LPG route or thought about it?

A friend of mine used to have a V8 Disco which he'd LPG'd. Made a very expensive car to run quite bearable, providing you are within range of an LPG garage and can spare the room the LPG tank would take. I'd consider a 4x4 because of the space it offers and we're out in the sticks.

Most of the larger 4x4's big V8 petrol models tend to depreciate heavily in the first 3 years compared to their diesel equivalents because of the poor running costs.

The V8 X5's go very well indeed for example, so if you pick up a 3 year old one and LPG it, you get all the grunt and roar of a V8 without the racket of a diesel. Plus I've heard of quite a few problems with turbo's on the diesels after about 60-70k.

I heard from someone who converted theirs, that it's great for a while, until you have to have the whole engine overhauled - a lot more often than with petrol or diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      I heard from someone who converted theirs, that it's great for a while, until you have to have the whole engine overhauled - a lot more often than with petrol or diesel.
      Do you think that's a side-effect of any LPG conversion or do you think your mate got a bit of a cowboy job?

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
        Do you think that's a side-effect of any LPG conversion or do you think your mate got a bit of a cowboy job?
        He said it was a general thing - but it's just heresay, urban legend etc... can anyone else confirm this?

Comment

There is an LPG forum you can visit to glean this informat from the horses mouth.

I'm considering getting a RR 4.2 SC converted.

Comment

There's over 400,000 cars for sale on autotrader out of which just 129 are LPG, just how many filling stations have LPG pumps?
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Some comments about LPG pumps here:
              http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=194297

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                There is an LPG forum you can visit to glean this informat from the horses mouth.

I'm considering getting a RR 4.2 SC converted.
                Presumably getting it done in the first 3 years invalidates the manufacturer's warranty, so have you done the same thing: get a 3 year old one, let someone else take the hit on the depreciation, and end up with the flagship model with all the grunt?

Car tax is presumably the same for both the petrol and diesel V8, so provided you like the car in its petrol form and the LPG tank doesn't take the whole of the boot, I think it's quite a good idea.

YMMV (literally in this case).

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                  Presumably getting it done in the first 3 years invalidates the manufacturer's warranty, so have you done the same thing: get a 3 year old one, let someone else take the hit on the depreciation, and end up with the flagship model with all the grunt?

Car tax is presumably the same for both the petrol and diesel V8, so provided you like the car in its petrol form and the LPG tank doesn't take the whole of the boot, I think it's quite a good idea.

YMMV (literally in this case).
                  That's the plan. A £75k car for £35k!!! The "Donut" tank replaces the spare wheel.

Here's a linky to the forum... LPG Discussion Forum

Comment

If everyone goes the LPG route, Gordon will slap a big increase in duty on it. For environmental reasons of course.

Comment

Working...
                    X