• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

External disk crives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External disk crives

Can anyone recomend an external disk drive or NAS to share between two laptops?

Basic "needs" are:

* As much disk space as available
    * Primary use for storing pictures, company records and files
    * Would use it to back up my HDD
    * Would need to have some for of fail safe such as RAID if possible (primarily for the baby pics!!)
    * Ethernet connection preferred
    * Long term would also use it to house MP3 files for playing via a Squeezebox (or similar)

TIA.
    Last edited by Mustang; 23 May 2008, 13:34.

I sort of recommend this - LaCie

It's really noisy, but seems to work ok as a fileserver.

I don't use any of the media, or FTP functions.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

A bit on the expensive side, but the Buffalo TeraStation will do what you need..
      The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Dont touch the cheap one in PC Wrorld at the moment - mybookworld I think. Def more hassle than its worth - took it back in 24 hours cos it was so naff

Comment

I've heard bad things about my book world too... far too slow to provide a decent back up solution.

I'm looking into getting an HP Media Server. Anyone had any experience of these?
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            I've heard bad things about my book world too... far too slow to provide a decent back up solution.

I'm looking into getting an HP Media Server. Anyone had any experience of these?
            IIRC there's a major bug with windows home server that they haven't got around to fixing yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/27/w...orrupts-files/
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

This looks to be a better deal than the Buffalo TerraStation I posted earlier as it is empty, so you can add your own drives as you go (up to 4TB at the moment, or 2TB with RAID 1)..
              The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                IIRC there's a major bug with windows home server that they haven't got around to fixing yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/27/w...orrupts-files/
                The beta for the feature pack is coming out, due to be released in july?

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
                  Can anyone recomend an external disk drive or NAS to share between two laptops?

Basic "needs" are:

* As much disk space as available
                  * Primary use for storing pictures, company records and files
                  * Would use it to back up my HDD
                  * Would need to have some for of fail safe such as RAID if possible (primarily for the baby pics!!)
                  * Ethernet connection preferred
                  * Long term would also use it to house MP3 files for playing via a Squeezebox (or similar)

TIA.

This is worth a look. 1.5Tb for only £260.

I've got two of them and so far they have performed very well.

They don't have ethernet though.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                    This is worth a look. 1.5Tb for only £260.

I've got two of them and so far they have performed very well.

They don't have ethernet though.
                    And "This" would be...

Comment

Working...
                    X