• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regrets ? well, I've had a few

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regrets ? well, I've had a few

Leaving the military is traumatic for a lot of people, some go loopy, some hit the bottle any many end up getting divorced.
    So when I left the army I thought fk it, lets do all three.

We had a daughter who was aged four then, and I went for custody as part of the divorce proceedings, which, for various reasons, I won.
    So there I was, unemployed, a single dad living in a council flat in Bootle.

Now living on the dole was tough, very tough, and I really struggled. One time it was two days before giro day and I was skint, I had no 'borrowing potential' and there was no food. My daughters friend was due for a sleep over and there was nothing in the larder, I was starving, my @rse was snapping at the seat. I had a shilling, so I spent it on a big bag of monkey nuts for the kids.

So, only one thing to do, I waited till 2am, put my combats on and headed for the local bread factory. Up and over the fence, I worked there as a lad so I knew exactly where to go, and how to avoid the two allies they had on patrol. Got a couple of french sticks, back over the fence, over to the allotments, up and over the fence, found a nice allotment. Got down and burrowed under the potato plants with my fingers and flicked some spuds out
    then back over the fence and home.

I dont know if you ever cooked chips with fresh spuds, but they are really nice, much better than you might expect. So next day I made chips, put them on the butties and told the kids to get stuck in.
    The daughters friend says to me 'mum doesnt really like us eating chips all the time'
    'Ah but these aren't chips they are , er, frittes liberationne. French. you know.'
    'wow'
    'And later we are not having ice cream or chocolate cake or any of that rubbish, its fresh monkey nuts from , er, Gambia, African food. you know'
    'double wow'
    'still in the original shells'
    I could see my daughters street cred going up several notches.

Next time I saw the kids mum at the school she said her daughter hadnt stopped talking about how she wanted to stay over again, and the exotic food, and could I give her the recipe.

'Ah well, I do try to do my best for them' I says.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Quality EO.

Comment

That was worth waiting for - well done for looking after your daughter so well.

Comment

Priceless

Comment

I look forward to reading how this story turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
              Priceless
              Literally.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                ... frittes liberationne. French. you know.'...:
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Awesome post that EO.

Brilliant
                  Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

"In and out"
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X