• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client details on website...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client details on website...

Hi all, I'm revamping my company website to make it look a little less like a 5 year old designed it and wondered what everyone thought about putting details of previous client on there? Thinking of 2 things - putting a simple list of past clients, and possibly putting a page or so on what kind of work I did at some of the bigger ones.

Do you think both of these are ok? Should I get permission before doing something like this? I obviously wouldn't go into huge detail, just general I did this, worked with these technologies etc.

Ta!
    ...for aerodynamic purposes

I thought about doing that as well a year or so ago. I talked to someone about the idea and was told that it was a pain. Names are OK, maybe a link, but it becomes a minefield after that. Even using a logo in the link can get you into trouble as they client could say that you are abusing their copyright and trying to imply that they endorse your site/company. Writing anything about what you did for them would raise all sorts of confidentiality issues. The short answer: not worth the hassle, just list names.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      I thought about doing that as well a year or so ago. I talked to someone about the idea and was told that it was a pain. Names are OK, maybe a link, but it becomes a minefield after that. Even using a logo in the link can get you into trouble as they client could say that you are abusing their copyright and trying to imply that they endorse your site/company. Writing anything about what you did for them would raise all sorts of confidentiality issues. The short answer: not worth the hassle, just list names.
      Surely the logo thing would meet "fair use" type stuff?

/IANAL
      Last edited by Advocate; 23 May 2008, 14:39. Reason: mY inabelitie too spel
      B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        ... trying to imply that they endorse your site/company...
        That's a really good point, I hadn't thought of that. A list it is then, cheers.
        ...for aerodynamic purposes

Comment

surely you could get back in touch with your old clients, ask them for a quote/reference/recommendation for your publicity.
          If they agree to that, then find out about links and logo's
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

I asked about getting permission too. The response was that smaller clients would possibly agree, but who would be impressed with them. The bigger clients are what you want and they are less likely to agree. You can try, but don’t have any expectations of success.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I once used pictures and stuff of something I once did, I just asked, why would it be a problem? It's all in The Gaurdian now, sneer sneer.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                Surely the logo thing would meet "fair use" type stuff?

/IANAL
                AIUI there's no such thing as fair use in British copyright law.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Ah ok, sounds about right....lol
                  B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    in effect there is - e.g. you're allowed to quote bits from books in newspaper articles and stuff like that. But if you're company X, using company Y's logo to help promote your own services certainly wouldn't be covered by that.

I would agree that names are OK, and very brief descriptions that tell the incontrovertible truth and don't give away any secrets.

Comment

Working...
                    X