• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training update - Skills future?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training update - Skills future?

Hello all - i am returning to IT after some time. Having previouslyworked as an MCSE engineer for NT4 (old i know) i am not too keen to return to that sort of gerneral support environment.

I do have some funds available to retrain but need expert advice on what skill area to target and also what training roviders are trustworthy and good?

SAP training or Oracle are two looking at at the moment - looking at about a 12 month training window maximum?

Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Buy a book on Oracle, download a version or two, buff up with a few worked examples, construct a CV, punt it out, take a low rate, keep your head down, have Google ready to hand always to answer the hard bits ...... now you're a contractor Fill your boots.

Repeat as above for SAP.

Comment

Thanks Jubber - Good advice! My cousin works for Oracle as a consultant in the pharmacology field so could probably get some resources there.

all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
        Repeat as above for SAP.

.Net

Comment

Buy a book on Oracle, download a version or two, buff up with a few worked examples, construct a CV, punt it out, take a low rate, keep your head down, have Google ready to hand always to answer the hard bits ...... now you're a contractor Fill your boots.

Repeat as above for SAP.
          Can this really be done or is it an urban myth?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Can this really be done or is it an urban myth?
            Thankfully I've never been in the position of having to try it myself. But when one thinks about the quality of many permies (and indeed many contractors), I wouldn't be massively surprised to find that, with a judicious choice of client, one could actually get away with it.

Of course the problem would be that one would have to have a reasonable degree of knowledge to be able to judiciously determine the gullibility of the client

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Thankfully I've never been in the position of having to try it myself. But when one thinks about the quality of many permies (and indeed many contractors), I wouldn't be massively surprised to find that, with a judicious choice of client, one could actually get away with it.

Of course the problem would be that one would have to have a reasonable degree of knowledge to be able to judiciously determine the gullibility of the client
              How would this work, by bypassing agents?

The problem in this way of going about finding contracts (e.g. studying hard, being honest about it and pitching in at a low rate) is more that you'd never pass agent buzzword stage and have your CV land on a clients desk, let alone get an interview. TBH I think this is the way it should and could work if you're capable in other areas, but while we have agents in the middle would be unlikely to work, as far as I see it, unless you have a client willing to give a reference and are prepared to lie.

Comment

Originally posted by cirruscrystal View Post
                Any pointers would be most appreciated.
                Here's one...

unsigned char *ptrMyCharPtr = NULL;

Here's another...

char **ptrptrMyCharPtr;

Comment

Repeat as above for SAP.

Yes, that will most definitely work.

No, really it will...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Here's one...

unsigned char *ptrMyCharPtr = NULL;

Here's another...

char **ptrptrMyCharPtr;
                    <obvious feeder line>

Does anyone have any comments?

<\obvious feeder line>