• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Places to live in London...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Places to live in London...

And no jokes about terrorism please

I have an option for a year long contract in central London but for the life of me cant think of anywhere half decent to live that wouldnt cost a fortune ... any sensible advice?

(And no the bombings dont put me off)
    Vieze Oude Man

Budget?

Comment

Peterboro', Newark, Grantham, Doncaster, York and commute
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        Peterboro', Newark, Grantham, Doncaster, York and commute
        Threaded, one of the guys I work with from time to time lives in Peterborough says that commuting into London isn't too bad, but trying to get home at night can take hours!

If you've got the money get a weekday apartment and fly home at weekends.

Comment

East London's the only place for you, my friend.

This is the only place in London where you can get a brand new flat, with all mod cons, for about £200 a week.

The reason is that the area is pretty tulip, so a lot of buildings have been demolished and recently replaced by half-decent purpose-built apartment blocks. Consequently it is possible to find places where no one has lived yet, everything's new and is quite secure. Underground car park, gated entry, concierge service etc.

For example in Stratford, you have all of that in many developments. Also transport links are brilliant, frequent train services straight to Liverpool Street (every 5 mins at peak times), Central and Jubilee lines, DLR to Docklands.... can't beat that for access. OK it is in zone 3 so the Oyster card is £96 a month but you have saved so much on the flat itself....

Local supermarkets, pubs and restaurants are quite bad so you won't spend a lot of your leisure time there, but why would you? Stay in the City after work, that's all you need.

Seriously, I have looked recently whether it would be worth my while moving to a nicer area, I looked at Clapham Commons, Battersea, Highgate, Greenwich, Hammersmith and you don't get the equivalent flat for less than double the money

So I am staying with the Stratford Massive.... with my CS spray
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Cheers guys,

budget would be up to £300 a week with the possibility of a friend contributing....

(A chap I know bought a small apartment in Barcelona and simply gets cheap flights back to the UK to work during the week, and does deals for weekday accomodation... he seems happy )
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

They say (whoever "they" are) that people will spend up to 3 times their working rate in time to save money. So if you're on £30/hr, you'll be happy enough travelling an extra hour a day if it saves you £10 that day.

I think thats bollox. When in Rome and all that. If all you want to do is sleep at the place, go to Stratford (as Becca says). If you want to live in a nice area (Islington, Holland Park), think about doing a flatshare. If you want to be in a nice area but by yourself you will have to go further out (Hampstead Heath, Ealing, Wimbledon, Richmond).

Comment

I used to do the Peterborough commute thing. Wasn't really a problem. Of course, if the trains go tits up you're pretty well stuck but your money goes much further than it would do in central London. Helps if you can find a place close to P'boro station and if your client is close to Kings Cross.

If all you want is a place to crash within easy reach of to the centre, the flat over a shop option is normally economical almost anywhere in London. Not swanky obviously, but you can live smack in the middle of a nice area (e.g. Wimbledon, 13 mins from Waterloo by train) where you would no way be able to afford to a new flat.

How about somewhere in France close to the Eurostar?

Comment

[QUOTE=Rebecca Loos]East London's the only place for you, my friend.

This is the only place in London where you can get a brand new flat, with all mod cons, for about £200 a week.
                  [QUOTE]

That's about 200 pounds more than the value you get.

There are plenty of areas to consider but please, not east london.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

£300 a week gives you lot's of options - what sort of area are you looking for?

Peace and quiet or young and edgy (Or something in between) transport links, nightlife, pubs, ambience etc. Need lot's more info.

BTW East london umm ...
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                    X