• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retrospective taxes are fair, says minister.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrospective taxes are fair, says minister.

Retrospective taxes are fair, says minister. you are supposed to guess what the government will enact in the future, and start obeying it now.

About vehicle pollution taxes:

(Environment minister) Ms Ruddock added: "What we can't do is lose sight of the environment agenda because this is everybody's future, the future of the planet."

She denied the retrospective aspect of the policy was unfair.

"Over a 10 year period...I think the direction we have been going in has been clear to people at the time," she said.

Totally fair. Your money belongs to the lefties.

Comment

If I didn't have dependants here I'd be an ex-pat.

Comment

They still don't get it do they? It's this incessant flow of bossy interfering "initiatives", each with associated costs and inconvenience, that's making labour so hated by practically everyone. It's as if they're tightening us all ever harder in a web of red tape and won't let up.

Obviously the main issues centre round tax (up) and property values (down). But just things like doubling rubbish collection times, and all this recycling lark, must have severely pissed off hundreds of thousands of voters.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It's this incessant flow of bossy interfering "initiatives", each with associated costs and inconvenience, that's making labour so hated by practically everyone
          Well, we'd better get used to it, because after talking to a politics student from the UEA this weekend, "social engineering" and how to "get society to follow the model" is a growing part of their curriculum.

He explained to me :

"The whole point of government is to GOVERN. That is, to make decisions and choose the correct choices for the people of the country. The government have an effective mandate to do this via voting.

Most problems arise when there is conflict of opinion, which threatens to derail the government's decision making process. This is counter-productive to effective "governance" and must not be tolerated.

Therefore it is imperative to ensure that the "governed" are constantly "nudged" in the right direction, to ensure they don't deviate from the Government's plan, and in deviating, get themselves in to all sorts of trouble"

I think I lost him after this, since I'm not that interested in politics, but I do like to say hello to all the people at a party, even the ones who sit on their own in the corner.

However, the lasting thought I had was "Is this what the politicians of tomorrow are learning today ?"
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

A dramatic and chilling insight, BGG. Summed up in 1 phrase: 'how to "get society to follow the model" '.

Wrong: how to get the model to follow society?

Comment

Stab List

Blears,Primarolo, Harman and now ... Ruddock.

How much more of these ex Bliar babes can we take.

Why does the country need enemies when you have ministers like this.
              There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Yes, but this argument of the English versus the French model of government has been going on for centuries. The old English model means the poor are relatively well off, in fact most Europeans are still instinctively jealous of this, but have weak government, vica versa for the French model. What the New Lie would like is the French model, and what would you expect, all of them are power mad.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  Yes, but this argument of the English versus the French model of government has been going on for centuries. The old English model means the poor are relatively well off, in fact most Europeans are still instinctively jealous of this, but have weak government, vica versa for the French model. What the New Lie would like is the French model, and what would you expect, all of them are power mad.
                  Yeah, yeah, let's have some rioting on the street!!!

To arms Brothers!!! To arms!!!

Ooops, we can't do that anymore, it's illegal. Oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Yeah, yeah, let's have some rioting on the street!!!

To arms Brothers!!! To arms!!!

Ooops, we can't do that anymore, it's illegal. Oh well...

Only way to get rioting is to announce end of big brother or mcdonalds or something the prols care about.

Comment

Working...
                    X