• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector employees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public sector employees

or ex-public sector employees to be exact.

Have one of them working at the gig I am currently on and boy does it show.

Anyone else share my view that working in the public sector can be the kiss of death for your work mentality and possibly your CV?

Think I have read on here before some employers not touching contractors who had worked in the public sector - was it in the financial arena?

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    or ex-public sector employees to be exact.

Have one of them working at the gig I am currently on and boy does it show.

Anyone else share my view that working in the public sector can be the kiss of death for your work mentality and possibly your CV?

Think I have read on here before some employers not touching contractors who had worked in the public sector - was it in the financial arena?
    Financial area prefers people already in the financial sector. Alot of people hate the commuting and the stress and the numptiness of the users. I have seen alot of people do 1 financial sector contract then leave for reality. There are 2 at current gig on 1st financial sector contracts. Both very nice clever guys - so unlikely to stick around.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      I used to highlight MoD and Government work on me CV, when I had a re-draft I mentioned the private firms involved but left out the end client and locations... The phone started ringing again!!

When I've made my money and want something easy to keep me occupied I'll be looking for a permy role at the MoD, it’s more like a social club than work.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I used to run a lot of training classes and you could spot the public sector workers a mile off.

One particular woman made a complaint about me because the class was too technical and she couldn't keep up.

Which is sometimes a fair shout but I sat down with her after hours and spent an hour going through what she needed to know... in her complaint she mentioned that she had to stay back late!

I'll always remember the comment "Environment variable... look I have no idea what that even is..."

Although funnily enough she managed to mess up pressing the send button on the evaluation form so it never actually got through. No idea how she managed to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I'll be looking for a permy role at the MoD, it’s more like a social club than work.
          It's true - best banter anywhere

Did I tell abuout the time we dropped a landrover out the back of a C130 on top of the wing commander's porsche...
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The workers in the public sector have it far too easy, whilst there are some good workers generally they have an attitude of doing as little work as possible, knowing the taxpayer will pay their salary.

Comment

I know a now extinct company that took on an ex-IR ofal as chief accountant.

They didn't last long after that mistake.

His first act was to send all the on-site employees a demand saying that on the next pay slip he would claw back the tax for their expenses. I kid you not.

The directors of the firm were a bunch of planks obviously.

That is why whenever anyone says this director or that is worth x million squidlies I know for sure it is bollox. Anyone, with a bit of luck and common, can do the job, because I've seen people without either still manage to do quite well.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                I used to run a lot of training classes and you could spot the public sector workers a mile off.

One particular woman made a complaint about me because the class was too technical and she couldn't keep up.

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                I'll always remember the comment "Environment variable... look I have no idea what that even is..."
                Isn't that something to do with the weather?

Sounds like fun. I'm glad I've avoided the public sector so far.
                Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Just think how many would be unemployed if the public sector did not exist. Many I have worked with in public sector gigs would be totally unemployable in the private sector.

Comment

Article 13199 of the Pan-European constitution "No person shall be prejudiced from employment in any capacity, at any level, by reason of age, race, creed or incompetence."
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X