• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie question - enough experience to start contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question - enough experience to start contracting?

Lurker turned poster, hi all. I have a newbie question: have I got enough experience to secure a first contract without to much bowing/scraping/lowering of rates?

I'm returning from NZ to the UK in a few months. I have three years commercial JEE/Java development experience plus this last year of .NET and C#.

Is that enough experience for a Java contract do you think? What about C# (my employers here consider me a senior sort of developer)?

No, you need 10 years experience before you will be considered for a contracting role.
    Check the website below...

http://www.officialrulesofcontractin...m_requirements

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by silves89 View Post
      Lurker turned poster, hi all. I have a newbie question: have I got enough experience to secure a first contract without to much bowing/scraping/lowering of rates?

I'm returning from NZ to the UK in a few months. I have three years commercial JEE/Java development experience plus this last year of .NET and C#.

Is that enough experience for a Java contract do you think? What about C# (my employers here consider me a senior sort of developer)?
      Your experience is enough. It all depends on your attitude and ability to interact with others and sell your skills.
      If you are a confident interviewer and are prepared to start on a lower rate and keep any ego you might have in check, you will be fine.

Comment

Boomed!

Come on over.

Bear this in mind though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7419916.stm

The pay and prospects of junior IT support staff in the UK have stagnated as services have been relocated to India, research has suggested.

Annual salaries at the lowest end of the industry have not risen in five years, according to the Association of Technology Staffing Companies (ATSCO).

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
          No, you need 10 years experience before you will be considered for a contracting role.
          Especially in products that have only been on the market for two.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I started with less experience than that; different field though!
            B00med!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I interview pretty well and am prepared to take a lower rate, which I imagine will still be a fair bit higher than what I'd earn as a permie anyway. Keeping my ego in check might be a problem

Comment

Working...
              X