• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Neighbours and fences

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbours and fences

We had high winds in Manchester yesterday, and I noticed my fence was wobbling around a bit, So I went round to have a look from the neighbours side.
    They were quite good about it and offered to go halfs on the bit that runs along their garden. That is about one third of the total length, so I asked if they would identify a fencer and put up one sixth of the dosh. They agreed.
    Anyone ever been in this territory ?
    What do I have to look out for ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Pay somebody to do a proper job - concrete posts (buried properly) & gravel boards.

Then, in the future if your fence falls down, you only have to replace the panel, not the posts etc.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      We had high winds in Manchester yesterday, and I noticed my fence was wobbling around a bit, So I went round to have a look from the neighbours side.
      They were quite good about it and offered to go halfs on the bit that runs along their garden. That is about one third of the total length, so I asked if they would identify a fencer and put up one sixth of the dosh. They agreed.

If it is your fence why should they put up anything? Sounds jolly decent of them to me - you are lucky to have neighbours who are such damn good eggs.

Comment

Agree on a quote from said fencer first and sort out the dosh before the work starts.

If you want to - also worth having a look at yours (and theirs) title deeds from land registry. We were in a similar situation a few years ago and it transpired that we were reponsible for the upkeep of the boundary fence -
        although we ended up splitting the cost anyway.

A lot depends really on how well you get on with your neighbours!

PS. If its higher than 2m or along the road you need planning permission for it.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          Agree on a quote from said fencer first and sort out the dosh before the work starts.

If you want to - also worth having a look at yours (and theirs) title deeds from land registry. We were in a similar situation a few years ago and it transpired that we were reponsible for the upkeep of the boundary fence -
          although we ended up splitting the cost anyway.

A lot depends really on how well you get on with your neighbours!

PS. If its higher than 2m or along the road you need planning permission for it.
          Well its seperated from the road by a high hedge, which provides a nice bit of privacy, and on our side with the neighbours we have a row of 6 leylandii. Would we need planing permission for a replacement ?

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Pay somebody to do a proper job - concrete posts (buried properly) & gravel boards.

Then, in the future if your fence falls down, you only have to replace the panel, not the posts etc.
            That's what I did as we live on a hill and our neighbour’s garden was slowly falling into ours, cost me £800 for 20m.

What really annoys me is the neighbours don’t bother to paint/stain/protect their side despite the fact it cost them nothing to put up, you can guess where the cat tulip I find on my lawn goes.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Wise words.

My Mother thought an estimate of £100 too expensive so decided that I could replace two panels for her when I next visited instead. The panels themselves are a doddle to replace, it’s the posts that are a nightmare. Removing about a cubic foot of concrete a foot down isn’t quick or fun. My tip is not to even try to chip away at the concrete unless you have heavy duty power tools – it took me three hours per post. You need to dig around the concrete mass and pull the thing out whole. Putting a new post in is easy though, you can buy a bag of post concrete for that and it sets in minutes.

Comment

We had high winds in Manchester yesterday,
                We warm sunny blue skies in Edinbra yesterday
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

My neighbours are so fkin house proud fanatics I think they would pay for the whole thing as long as I got it done properly. Then they would paint it and probably throw in a BJ as well out of gratitude.

£800 eh, sounds about right.

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    We warm sunny blue skies in Edinbra yesterday
                    I got back from Fort William yesterday. I got a great tan walking the cow trail and then sitting outside the jacobite bar while the missus went shopping.
                    Brilliant

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X