• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MPs to Voters: "We Are Worth More Than You"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPs to Voters: "We Are Worth More Than You"

Linky. Hanging, Drawing and Quartering is to good for'em!

Bye bye UK
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
      Linky. Hanging, Drawing and Quartering is to good for'em!
      It is not so much the Housing allowance I object to but the hypocrisy. If I rented property rather than a bedsit when away from the primary home I would have to justify it to the taxman. Even more so if in permenent work and my employer did the same.

In addition the rules allowing for a 2nd home. There are people outside of the political classes having a 2/3 hour commute. The rules allowing for 2nd homes for those MPs representing constituencies away from Westminister is something like a 1 hour commute. So MPs are allowing themeselves a perk they disallow all others - that is a home closer to the place of work - I doubt also there is some kind of 40% rule either - given then spend more than 40% of their time in Westminster that is there normal place of work.

Comment

They can do what they like, 'cos we voted for them. They're acting in our best interests after all, oh and of course, I nearly forgot...it's only fair.

Comment

I understand the need for 2 homes. MPs are fairly unique in that they have 2 places of work on a permanent basis.
          What I dont understand is the hypocrisy of the way they set up.
          Why we as a nation do not have a set of houses/flats for MPs in London run at public expense is beyond me.
          There should be no way that we are paying for our MPs to be able to buy and refurbish their own second homes.
          As others have said, the rules for their expenses sould match the rules for us.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I'd like to see the expenses of Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper - Since they are married, do they claim 2 lots of the 2nd home costs?

Looks like they are playing the game!
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
            X