• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Peak oil

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peak oil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7421792.stm

The boss of Shell UK, the London-based arm of the Anglo-Dutch oil company, has warned the era of "easy oil" was over.

So there you are. No more oil. Adapt or die.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7421792.stm

The boss of Shell UK, the London-based arm of the Anglo-Dutch oil company, has warned the era of "easy oil" was over.

So there you are. No more oil. Adapt or die.
    What's to worry about, production may be declining but at least demand is rising.

Comment

They said crap like this in the 80's. Scare stories like all the worlds supply of gas and oil would be used by the year 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by pisces View Post
        They said crap like this in the 80's. Scare stories like all the worlds supply of gas and oil would be used by the year 2000.
        Believe it or not, one day it's really going to happen
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          It's ok, all we need to do is Nuke all of the remaining rainforests, wait 300 million years & "hey presto" - OIL!!!
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Of course.

Strangley enough though it seems to be while investors are furiously w@nking over the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              It's ok, all we need to do is Nuke all of the remaining rainforests, wait 300 million years & "hey presto" - OIL!!!
              Apparently you can speed up the process considerably with a bit of heat and pressure. Anyone know what cost oil has to be before coal becomes viable again. Don't we still have lots of that (thanks to Maggie?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Apparently you can speed up the process considerably with a bit of heat and pressure. Anyone know what cost oil has to be before coal becomes viable again. Don't we still have lots of that (thanks to Maggie?
                Dunno, I don't fancy running a steam engine instead of a car
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  And lots of it is effectively not extractable because of old flooded workings.
                  Send the lizards down for it, they're expendable!

Comment

Dunno, I don't fancy running a steam engine instead of a car
                    steam engines are making a come back

And if you knew anything about early motoring history you'll know that the late model steam cars were as convenient and easy to run as their new-fangled petrol counterparts with start up times measured in seconds.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X