• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to stick my "war fund"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to stick my "war fund"

Shortly (after disposing of some property) I am going to have around £500,000 floating around ready for the coming property slump.

Now I need to stash this cash in the most tax efficient, safe and productive manner.

I already have maxed out on premium bonds and ISA's, same for the other half.

Any suggestions on where this money should live, bearing the £30K FSA limit if any one financial sheister bank goes tits up?

Looking foreward to some great suggestions.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Shortly (after disposing of some property) I am going to have around £500,000 floating around ready for the coming property slump.

Now I need to stash this cash in the most tax efficient, safe and productive manner.

Any suggestions on where this money should live, bearing the £30K FSA limit if any one financial sheister bank goes tits up?

Emerging markets?

Comment

Donate the war fund to that ex vietnam vet that's about to become the most powerful man in the world. He'll help you spend it wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Emerging markets?
        Is that as safe as a bank account?

I'd be a bit upset if I get out less than I put in.

Comment

Just stick it on a BACS to:

99-67-90

I'll look after it for you.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

get divorced

HTH

Comment

Why not invest it here.

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/

Using this government backed initative, not only will you earn money* but you will also help underpriviliged kids learn the piano.

*levels of earning may vary according to stupidity.

Comment

Wise decision DP.

US stocks.....the dollar is going to recover. Some emerging market stuff as well. Check out Gazprom, they haven't gone up much in spite of the world running out of oil. Look good. Comodities will correct but mining stocks look good longterm. Also Engineering companies that build oil wells.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Have it changed into penny's rendering it pretty much unstealable. Then melt the penny's down into copper pipes; probably double your money by selling the copper!

There may not be enough pennys in your area to do this so I suggest selling the copper to the royal mint; rinse and repeat!
                  Last edited by Advocate; 28 May 2008, 10:07.
                  B00med!

Comment

National Savings

http://www.nsandi.com/savingneeds/guaranteedreturns.jsp

Comment

Working...
                    X