• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown's plan for the cost of petrol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown's plan for the cost of petrol

He's going to ask the oil companies to do something to reduce the price, get the kudos for that, and then add the 2p in fuel duty afterwards. I reckon.

Linky

If so, let's hope the oil companies agree to a price reduction, wait until the tax comes into effect, and the same day remove the reduction so the tax is an increase. That'll really catch the Government on the hop

Comment

Basically he is probably saying "comrades, cut the price and allow me to increase the duty, or I'll hit you all with a windfall tax on your obscene capitalist profits instead".

Comment

Or he's trying to persuade them to start pumping water into the North Sea oilfields to increase the short term rate of extraction, at the cost of considerably reducing the total amount that can be extracted.

So desperate and stupid, but so typical.

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
          Or he's trying to persuade them to start pumping water into the North Sea oilfields to increase the short term rate of extraction, at the cost of considerably reducing the total amount that can be extracted.

So desperate and stupid, but so typical.
          To be honest I'd prefer the cost of petrol went up than income tax. Maybe I should start a movement that will poodle along in the slow lane to protest at the protesters.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            To be honest I'd prefer the cost of petrol went up than income tax. Maybe I should start a movement that will poodle along in the slow lane to protest at the protesters.
            Ace idea - going slowly will decrease fuel consumption - less demand so prices will fall.

I got that from the atw complete economics guide volume 5.

Comment

Golden Clown has no need of the duty increase on fuel. He gets a windfall every time the price goes up through duty and VAT.
              IIRC the UK has the cheapest fuel before duty and tax are added.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Ace idea - going slowly will decrease fuel consumption - less demand so prices will fall.

I got that from the atw complete economics guide volume 5.
                I won't be going slowly! I'll be going at top speed in my new electric Reva G-Wiz, slowing down those nasty planet destroying petrol guzzling juggernauts. Until my battery runs out that is.

Comment

I'd really like to see a breakdown somewhere of how the price of fuel is made up.

£x.xx wholesale cost
                  £x.xx tax
                  £x.xx VAT
                  £x.xx profit

£x.xx Total

Then compare this to other countries.

Is this information available anywhere?

It seems mad that everytime the wholesale cost goes up, the tax and VAT percentage go up as well. Where is all this extra money going? Is there a hidden agenda here? Stockpiling it for next year when 2,000,000 people lose their jobs due to a broken economy and the Government need to start handing it back out in benefits, etc?
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    At this rate we won't be able to afford the petrol for the petrol bombs.*

*Please note that smoking whilst using petrol bombs may damage your health.
                    Home made napalm is cheaper to make already.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X