• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I miss the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss the bench

I just started back in the contract world and I miss the Bench.

I forgot:

1/ How badly many people darn sarf drive, how they thrash their cars Death Race 2000 style, slow down the traffic WILL BE stationary around the corner.

2/ How crowded the roads were, and how nobody walks anywhere.

3/ How grim and grey the Hertfordshire commuter towns were, those out to the west e.g. Bucks have it much better

4/ How horrible the M1 is

5/ How annoying "off of" sounds

6/ How soul destroying staying in a hotel is

7/ How working is a waste of time

8/ How grey most people are

8/ How Homes under the Hammer had become a friend

Other than that I'm Happy
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 28 May 2008, 18:55.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      I just started back in the contract world and I miss the Bench.

I forgot:

1/ How badly many people darn sarf drive, how they thrash their cars Death Race 2000 style, slow down the traffic WILL BE stationary around the corner.

2/ How crowded the roads were, and how nobody walks anywhere.

3/ How grim and grey the Hertfordshire commuter towns were, those out to the west e.g. Bucks have it much better

4/ How horrible the M1 is

5/ How annoying "off of" sounds

6/ How soul destroying staying in a hotel is

7/ How working is a waste of time

8/ How grey most people are

Other than that I'm Happy
      More whining than Wilmslow

Comment

That exactly the impression I have of darn sarf from whenever I've worked down there. And it is down, the same direction that takes you to hell. Its luvly up in t'north lad, by comparison like. By gum it is. etc.

Comment

Years ago, come to think of it during the last down-turn, I was seriously into the Teletubies.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I missed the bench. Then I missed the money..
            Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

I just started back in the contract world and I miss the Bench. ..
              Talking about the bench, has anyone ever considered a plan B of going on _the_ bench, i.e. becoming a magistrate?

Apparently it's a doddle, because the magistrate's clerks have the legal knowledge and do most of the work.

Mind you, I suppose one can't be insolvent or have a criminal record, or be on the sex offender's register, and I imagine that rules out a few people round here
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Talking about the bench, has anyone ever considered a plan B of going on _the_ bench, i.e. becoming a magistrate?

Apparently it's a doddle, because the magistrate's clerks have the legal knowledge and do most of the work.

Mind you, I suppose one can't be insolvent or have a criminal record, or be on the sex offender's register, and I imagine that rules out a few people round here
                On the other hand, with the accomodation costs darn saarf, you could always sleep "on the bench"

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  OI !!!!
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                    I missed the bench. Then I missed the money..
                    The thought of the money used to excite me, but less so these days. I think I'd rather be a happy bum than an unhappy millionaire.

I had a systems overview/induction today and the guy who was presenting told us there was no need to remember it all, so I took this as an excuse to daydream, can't remember what it was, but along the lines of isn't sleep great. Then the Charlie Brown waffle sound had stopped and he brought up the test questions, luckily there was a keener in the room and he answered while I pulled an appropriate expression of obviousness.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 28 May 2008, 19:58.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X