• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Labour on verge of bankruptcy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Labour on verge of bankruptcy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/may/29/labour

Senior officials in the Labour party, including Gordon Brown, could become personally liable for millions of pounds in debt unless new donors can be found within weeks, the Guardian has learned.

The party has five weeks to find £7.45m to pay off loans to banks and wealthy donors recruited by Lord Levy, Tony Blair's former chief fundraiser, or become insolvent. A further £6.2m will have to be repaid by Christmas - making £13.65m in all. The sum amounts to two-thirds of the party's annual income from donations.

The figures are a conservative estimate as they do not include interest that will also have to be paid. A Labour source said that although the total debt was listed as £17.8m on the Electoral Commission website, the true level, with interest, was nearer to £24m.

So, not only morally and intellectually bankrupt, but financially too.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The party has five weeks to find £7.45m to pay off loans to banks and wealthy donors recruited by Lord Levy, Tony Blair's former chief fundraiser, or become insolvent.
    No pressure then!

Doomed! Would an IVA help?
    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

can't they just raise taxes to solve it?
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

This is why they call me the problem solver
        "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

That's why they want us to fund political parties out of taxation.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            That's why they want us to fund political parties out of taxation.
            There's a great Plan B. The MM Party for absconding with publics funds is now open. Put yourselves forward at the next elections...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The figures are a conservative estimate
              So how different would a Labour estimate be?
              If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
                So how different would a Labour estimate be?
                They would be in surplus by the largest amount ever.

The truth is that it probably would be if they declared all the hidden ‘loans’ etc. They have hidden most of it in offshore accounts. Even the corrupt EU think Russia is more trustworthy than British overseas banking as a result of New Labours fiddles.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Senior officials in the Labour party, including Gordon Brown, could become personally liable for millions of pounds in debt unless new donors can be found within weeks, the Guardian has learned.

The party has five weeks to find £7.45m to pay off loans to banks and wealthy donors recruited by Lord Levy, Tony Blair's former chief fundraiser, or become insolvent. A further £6.2m will have to be repaid by Christmas - making £13.65m in all. The sum amounts to two-thirds of the party's annual income from donations.

The figures are a conservative estimate as they do not include interest that will also have to be paid. A Labour source said that although the total debt was listed as £17.8m on the Electoral Commission website, the true level, with interest, was nearer to £24m.

So, not only morally and intellectually bankrupt, but financially too.
                  Well that is one way of getting rid of a new labour government - if GB and his cronies are found liable and are unable to pay that debt of then they themselves become bankrupt and an undischarged bankrupt cannot be an MP (As happened to Jeffrey Archer but then he went on to write a book called Not a Penny More, not a Penny less and then made a fortune out of the experience)

Comment

I so wish this would happen.
                    It would be hilarious watching those prudent chaps who have performed an economic miracle with the country explaining that one.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X