• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Instead of buying that fancy coffee everyday...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of buying that fancy coffee everyday...

Yet that single daily caffeine hit could cost me thousands, according to Malcolm Cuthbert, of financial management company Killik and Co.

Discounting inflation, he calculated that by saving on the daily cappuccino, the average 30-something could add £3,843 a year to their retirement pot.

Here's the maths: someone spending £1.80 on coffee every day is handing over £468 for the luxury every year. When compound interest of 7% is taken into account, this would amount to a total of £8,648 over 10 years, £25,661 over 20 years and £59,127 over 30 years.

If a 35-year-old were to put all the money they spend on coffee into their pension pot instead, at 65 they would receive £3,843 more in their pension every year for the rest of their life.

Boomed!

I read quite an interesting article a while back in some sunday paper about how to feel guilty over spending practically anything before retirement because you were effectively robbing yourself. IMHO, if you want a coffee, then have it. You could get hit by a bus.

Comment

I actually took the forum's advice on this from a thread some time ago - and duly popped a coffee grinder on the wedding gift list.
      Now, I take the Blue Mountain beans out of the freezer in the morning, grind, filter, and have the best damn coffee I've tasted in a long time. Who needs to buy coffee from Costa, Nero or Starbucks? It tastes like tulip in comparison. Cheaper in the long run too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
        I read quite an interesting article a while back in some sunday paper about how to feel guilty over spending practically anything before retirement because you were effectively robbing yourself. IMHO, if you want a coffee, then have it. You could get hit by a bus.

I'd prefer the coffee, Buses can hurt
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          If a 35-year-old were to put all the money they spend on coffee into their pension pot instead, at 65 they would receive £3,843 more in their pension every year for the rest of their life. Boomed!
          What about tea?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            What about tea?
            You can't put tea into a pension.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Not even a pension pot?
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Who's getting 7% returns on their pension?

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  Not even a pension pot?
                  Yes, there is a "t" in "pension pot" but not in "pension".

Comment

What if you were claiming that daily coffee against corp tax?
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X