• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scheduling (Job-Shop?)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scheduling (Job-Shop?)

I may be required to start and look at a scheduling system as part of my current contract. I acknowledge the complexities of this area and would like to familiarise myself more with the subject.

I believe that the type of scheduling I will be faced with is commonly referred to as "job-shop scheduling". Each job must pass through a variety of processes. Some processes may take place at more than one location, there is a fixed duration for specified process and there is a transit time between processes. The tricky part is that the final process is continuous so the jobs must complete the penultimate process just in time for the final process in order to maintain its continuity.

I've trawled the net and found many papers on the subject but all of which seem to assume a considerable amount of knowledge of the subject area as a prerequisite.

Does anyone have any experience of such systems that could point me to a worthwhile text or other such resource.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

This one any good?

http://www.ctg.albany.edu/publicatio.../workflow_mgmt

Comment

Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

Now just started reading about "Constraint programming". Ideal Friday afternoon reading
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Control-M, AutoSys worth looking at these are quite common in IBs for overnight sequential batch processing etc. Have a google.

Comment

Working...
        X