• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage question

Hi,

I am looking at entering the world of IT contracting. I have been in the IT Development industry for about 10 years and having had a string of disappointing jobs over the last 3 years has focussed my interest in setting up myself.

Anyway, having met and spoke to many contractors in my career, I heard something that might prove useful should it be true. It would help reduce the risk.

Can someone confirm or deny what I was told?

It was this:
    "Setup your limited company with 2 directors. You as one and your wife or mother as the other. Then resign after a short period with reasons of stress.
    Your partner then hires you back to perform a contract for a client. Say 3-6 months work.
    Then once you finish the clients contract, your partner lays you off (makes you redundant).
    Assuming that you have a mortgage and mortgage payment insurance, you can claim against it for being made redundant. Therefore paying your mortgage while you are not working.."

Regards,
    CM.

Originally posted by CodeMonkey76 View Post
    It was this:
    "Setup your limited company with 2 directors. You as one and your wife or mother as the other. Then resign after a short period with reasons of stress.
    Your partner then hires you back to perform a contract for a client. Say 3-6 months work.
    Then once you finish the clients contract, your partner lays you off (makes you redundant).
    Assuming that you have a mortgage and mortgage payment insurance, you can claim against it for being made redundant. Therefore paying your mortgage while you are not working.."

Erm yeah. No that won't work.

Either you will hold some shares for divi's hence self employed or you won't in which case you'll have to pay yourself PAYE to get the required history for a mortgage.

Also you'd have to have a permanant employment contract with yourco not be a contract with it so you would need to do more than just one contract....i.e. it be open ended.

Plus I'm pretty sure that the insurance will have a clause against this.

Comment

Hi,

I am looking at entering the world of IT contracting. I have been in the IT Development industry for about 10 years and having had a string of disappointing jobs over the last 3 years has focussed my interest in setting up myself.

Anyway, having met and spoke to many contractors in my career, I heard something that might prove useful should it be true. It would help reduce the risk.

It was this:

Regards,
      CM.
      I never ever take disability or unemployed cover. There are too many loopholes to stop things like that.

Insurance is a wonderful thing until you come to claim.

Comment

I do believe this is called fraud. Although saying that, the only people I've ever heard actually getting a payout from an insurance company have been fraudsters.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Hi,

It was this:

Regards,
          CM.

What the fluckinghell????

Insurance fraud police alert

Comment

Hi,

It was this:

Regards,
            CM.
            Stay permie. You're too <insert perjorative adjective here> to make it as a contractor...

And the other bit that worries me - having had a string of disappointing jobs over the last 3 years - I think you need to look at yourself rather than your employers.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

FFS As you will be classed as ‘self employed’ in their eyes, your mortgage protection insurance will be void anyway. Perhaps a better solution would be to take out some life assurance and then kill yourself, saving us all allot of bother.

HTH
              "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Very intelligent Tony. I bet you are the pride of your parents!
                Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post
                FFS As you will be classed as ‘self employed’ in their eyes, your mortgage protection insurance will be void anyway. Perhaps a better solution would be to take out some life assurance and then kill yourself, saving us all allot of bother.

HTH
                Might I just say, that I was informed of this by a contractor of some 20+ years and was only asking as it seemed a bit dodgy myself.

Anyway, thanks for the flaming. Nice to know questions are welcome and the forum is filled with human beings!

Comment

Hi,

It was this:

Regards,
                  CM.
                  Good luck with that - let us know how you get on

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post

HTH

Where is the coffee meet screen emoticon?

Comment

Working...
                    X