• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Labour architects of their own downfall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Labour architects of their own downfall

Watching Questiontime last night and listening to the disillusioned audience from all political support, I was thinking (I know, DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER).... Labour have caused their own downfall, not mainly because of Incompetence, almost the reverse, however accidental. They have resided over the largest property boom in living history, social mobility was probably greater than under Thatcher, many of the people they were once fighting for no longer need their patronising help. These are the new Tory voters, now they have made money from the boom years, BTL etc, they want different things, policies compatible with their new priorities, it's time to move out of home if you like. That's one of the factors of the Crewe and Nantwich win, that and protest votes from those hit by the 10% rate. Part of Labours core vote has moved on.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

I keep hearing "Golden Brown" has "been the most successful Chancellor" etc etc.

During that time, most of the world was booming economically. He'd have to be the absolute worst ever if he hadn't done well.

I imagine (if anybody ever does the analysis) that his "value added" to the economy (when discounting worldwide economic factors) has been close to zero.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Watching Questiontime last night and listening to the disillusioned audience from all political support, I was thinking (I know, DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER).... Labour have caused their own downfall, not mainly because of Incompetence, almost the reverse, however accidental. They have resided over the largest property boom in living history, social mobility was probably greater than under Thatcher, many of the people they were once fighting for no longer need their patronising help. These are the new Tory voters, now they have made money from the boom years, BTL etc, they want different things, policies compatible with their new priorities, it's time to move out of home if you like. That's one of the factors of the Crewe and Nantwich win, that and protest votes from those hit by the 10% rate. Part of Labours core vote has moved on.
      What a load of utter hogtulip!
      The housing boom was a worldwide phenomenon, not something New Labour created. Although they did exacerbate it by allowing uncontrolled immigration.

Labour's Legacy

1. A deluded messiah-like leader joins a hugely dodgy war started by a right-wing cretin
      2. Have frittered away record tax receipts from the last 10 years, so much so they need to borrow £43 billion this year
      3. Have allowed uncontrolled immigration into the country of all sorts of dodgy characters, rather than just people actually needed
      4. Have hidden record levels of unemployment by
      - adding hundreds of thousands to the public sector payroll
      - created useless degrees that keep young people out of the books
      - incapacity benefit claimants increased by a million
      5. In spite of record spending levels, public services are worse than they ever were.

I could go on. I can't think of a single thing Labour have done right

Just thought:
      6. Have cosied up to the large corps to the detriment of the self-employed. That's something we all know something about.
      Last edited by sasguru; 30 May 2008, 08:22.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

I didn't say they were great, I said they have helped make many people rich, mainly by not controlling house price inflation with interest rate rises. Like it or not, social mobility has been high under this government.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I didn't say they were great, I said they have helped make many people rich, mainly by not controlling house price inflation with interest rate rises. Like it or not, social mobility has been high under this government.

Please look up perceived wealth effect.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Watching Questiontime last night and listening to the disillusioned audience from all political support, I was thinking

Sounded like this could have been a good posting right up until that bit.

HTH
            WHS

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              Please look up perceived wealth effect.
              No thanks, the sentence explains itself.
              This government has made many property millionaires by bancrupting the economy. These are the new Tory voters.

Comment

No thanks, the sentence explains itself.
                This government has made many property millionaires by bancrupting the economy. These are the new Tory voters.
                Straight out of the atw school of economics.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Straight out of the atw school of economics.
                  ah, the usual tactic, why not consider the following instead?

Do you think this Government has made any attempt to control house price inflation before say, a year or two ago?

Do you think the level of debt fuelling and demanded by the boom is not affecting the economy?

Do you think some labour voters have not benefitted from the boom and now want a low tax governement?

Comment

Do you think this Government has made any attempt to control house price inflation before say, a year or two ago?
                    The government did have house price inflation under control: they were encouraging it! This is one of the main techniques (i.e. the perceived wealth effect) for maintaining their hold on power. The British people fell for it hook, line and sinker; as the nuLieBore bastards knew they would.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X