• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blagging

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blagging

How much do you do:

a) at interview time
    b) on the job daily

Think I've just blagged my way into a gig in which I know the concepts and fundamentals of what they need, but know that if I get the gig I'm going to in full consultant blagging mode for the first few days until my comfort zone increases.

Has anyone ever done this and it's gone wrong with your lack of knowledge has been rumbled, credibility down the pan?

Originally posted by Badger View Post
    How much do you do:

a) at interview time
    b) on the job daily

Think I've just blagged my way into a gig in which I know the concepts and fundamentals of what they need, but know that if I get the gig I'm going to in full consultant blagging mode for the first few days until my comfort zone increases.

Has anyone ever done this and it's gone wrong with your lack of knowledge has been rumbled, credibility down the pan?
    a) None - never have
    b) All the time

Comment

I never blag or lie about my abilities... that’s why I keep getting crap gigs with piss poor rates, damn that catholic upbringing.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I didn't lie, I told them that I didn't have a lot of experience in that area, which they seemed comfortable with!

Comment

How much do you do:

a) at interview time
          b) on the job daily

Well done!

It almost never goes wrong. In fact I have never heard of a case.

Comment

Update: I got the gig

Hopefully this one will actually start, as I've had 2 gigs cancel on me at the last minute.

Comment

Update: I got the gig

Hopefully this one will actually start, as I've had 2 gigs cancel on me at the last minute.
              Congrats!

Don't forget to bring your Blagger Kit with you on the first day.

List of all websites you can search, post questions etc. on USB stick.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

i did it to get this gig, it's all going swimmingly so far, it was way out of my depth but nobody suspects a thing as long as your confident and can delay until tomorrow, spend your evenings cramming on what you dont know and eventually you'll catch up.. worked for me and i've just got a renewal..

good luck
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

what do you do chef?
                  Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
                  "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
                  Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

I work in IT/software development, in Singapore at present, given the fact I have just said I blagged my latest gig I'm not quite ready to give the full address of my current employer..
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X