• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployed in 5 hours......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployed in 5 hours......

My current contract finishes in just under 5 hours. I've not been out of work for nearly 2 years now. Always finished one gig and into another.

This time round though I have cash to cover me for around 5 months but I'm having to cure my contracrtoritis (buy whatever I see) sharpish.

I'm trying hard to find the positives.... Time off to do what I want etc etc however the butterflies are there and I'm a little worried to be honest

It's my intention to do some homers for the locals if I can not quite a plan B but some work might come out of it who knows.

I also might hit the books and brush up on my skills.

Anyone got any other ideas (genuine please )

Originally posted by roadster198 View Post
    Go permie.

HTH.

Comment

If it makes you feel better, you'll still be technically employed assuming you're running a limited company. It's just that your company won't be making any money and won't be able to pay you much of a salary.

If all else fails, there's always the Wilmslow way.

Comment

Go on a .Net course pronto

That feeling in the stomach is good, if you lose that you are in trouble. 5 months is plenty to be quite choosy and I don't think things are as bad out there as some are saying on here, quite the opposite in my game.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          Go on a .Net course pronto

That feeling in the stomach is good, if you lose that you are in trouble. 5 months is plenty to be quite choosy and I don't think things are as bad out there as some are saying on here, quite the opposite in my game.
          Genuine question how difficult is .net to learn?

I don't come from a programming background.

Comment

My current contract finishes in just under 5 hours. I've not been out of work for nearly 2 years now. Always finished one gig and into another.

This time round though I have cash to cover me for around 5 months but I'm having to cure my contracrtoritis (buy whatever I see) sharpish.

I'm trying hard to find the positives.... Time off to do what I want etc etc however the butterflies are there and I'm a little worried to be honest

It's my intention to do some homers for the locals if I can not quite a plan B but some work might come out of it who knows.

I also might hit the books and brush up on my skills.

helping on an open source project?

Comment

In hindsight I could have taken quite a few contracts but I considered most of them 'beneath me', I held on thinking a perfect one would come up eventually as it always has in the past.

After 4 months on the bench my funds have dried up and I'm about to start a gig on my lowest rate in 5 years and on top of that it's miles away, my advice is take whatever you can get and never stop looking.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                helping on an open source project?
                I'm afraid thats just like work to me. IT for me is not a hobby it pays for those hobbies I do like

Comment

Working...
                X