• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I have a £2800 CC bill I can pay off nxt week...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a £2800 CC bill I can pay off nxt week...

However I'm also on my last day of the contract to-day.

I have the money to pay it off without harming the backup fund.

Should I do it or keep paying the min amount until I get work again and then pay it off? The APR is 14.9 or something.

I'd feel like I'd achieved something if I pay it off next week though

At the risk of getting told off - this is what the dense cliche ridden Amercians would call a "no brainer" isn't it? There's no way you could make 14.9% on the cash - or probably even the monthy equivalent so it makes sense to pay it off - innit, like WHS, OMG

Comment

Financial matters have never been my strongpoint

I'll pay it off then thank you

Comment

Pay it off... it will make you more hungry for work.

After all this time I can't believe I've still got debts, then I think back and realise we have 2 newish cars, nice house, lots of luxury holidays etc etc... all the things we never had when I was a permy.

Expenditure rises to exceed income and all that.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Pay it off now. Otherwise you will still be paying 14.9% APR until your next contract.

Worse case scenario you pay it off and then have to borrow again. At least the APR will be on a smaller amount of money borrowed so lower payments and less money lost on interest.
          "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Find a 0% interest credit card (if such a beast still exists), transfer the balance into it (taking the 3% fee hit) and then stuff the cash into a fixed deposit for the length of time the 0% lasts, paying the minimum each month.. Then, when the fixed deposit matures, pay off the balance on the card..
            The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Can't you do a balance transfer onto another card at 0% and then pay it back slowly whilst you're on the bench?

I see virginmoney are still offering a card with that facility for 15 months.

I thought those crazy deals would be long gone with the credit crunch.

Depends on how big your bench fund is. Personally I'd pay if off if I had the cash.
              Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by roadster198 View Post

Should I do it or keep paying the min amount until I get work again and then pay it off? The APR is 14.9 or something.

What would be the reason for not paying it off?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  What would be the reason for not paying it off?
                  It would add an extra month onto the "Being on the Bench Fund" which will already stretch to 5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by roadster198 View Post

Pay it off. New borrowing on a credit card is cheaper - for a start you are not paying interest on interest. Also it stops the credit card company playing silly buggers by allocating any payment to the cheapest debt, so purchases are paid off before any cash advances.

Comment

Working...
                    X