• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The value of a non-scientific education ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...is virtually nil, IMHO.
    Plenty of slightly clever people study pseudo-sciences like Economics or Politics etc. yet have no clue about the value or not of their so-called knowledge. They don't have a clue about the epistemological basis of their discipline - but are good at writing essays and passing exams.
    I would wager that I could get an advanced degree in any non-scientific discipline purely by sticking to the current zeitgeist.
    If people can't grasp the basics of the scientific method or the mathematical and statistical underpinnings of evidence-based knowledge, what fecking use are their opinions?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Plenty of slightly clever people study pseudo-sciences like Economics or Politics etc. yet have no clue about the value or not of their so-called knowledge. They don't have a clue about the epistemological basis of their discipline - but are good at writing essays and passing exams.
    I would wager that I could get an advanced degree in any non-scientific discipline purely by sticking to the current zeitgeist.
    If people can't grasp the basics of the scientific method or the mathematical and statistical underpinnings of evidence-based knowledge, what fliping use are their opinions?
    Plagarised from Socrates, but a good effort at translation.

The "I wager bit" is actually a conversation involving a slave boy and the diagonal of a square, but well done indeed.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

And your point is?
      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Plagarised from Socrates, but a good effort at translation.

The "I wager bit" is actually a conversation involving a slave boy and the diagonal of a square, but well done indeed.
        Actually I didn't know Socrates said that. It was my very own effort based on years of observation. And anyway what did Socrates know aof the scientific method?
        But great minds do think alike.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

[quote=sasguru;547880

[/quote]

I thought the majority of people currently obtaining scientific degrees did exactly this as well, i.e. stick to the zeitgeist.

Comment

If people can't grasp the basics of the scientific method or the mathematical and statistical underpinnings of evidence-based knowledge, what fliping use are their opinions?
            I agree, although what you call pseudo sciences are simply not. Economics is about the allocation of scarce resources, polsci is politics.

If more scientists understood human behaviour, as well as they understood their own disciplines, they would be more rounded and better able to identify workable solutions. eg: global warming.

Philosophy is central to all decision that are made, you can decide to have a consistent conscious philosophy, or not decide, and have a contradictory mongrel of philosophies (eg sasguru).

Politics is the translation of philosophy into how government should be designed and function, without this, on what basis do any scientists have a reason to make proposals on what should or should not be done about something.

Comment

I dont think we should punish people for sins more than 10 years old. As long as they have been working in science for more than 10 years then fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                If more scientists understood human behaviour, as well as they understood their own disciplines, they would be more rounded and better able to identify workable solutions. eg: global warming.

Comment

Actually I didn't know Socrates said that. It was my very own effort based on years of observation. And anyway what did Socrates know aof the scientific method?
                  But great minds do think alike.
                  Is there any 'real' difference between the Socratic and Scientific methods? Remembering that much of modern science is actually based on 'thought experiments' too.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

David Beckham (and his accountants) would probably disagree.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X