• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK IT contract market - come to a halt?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK IT contract market - come to a halt?

Hi all. This is my first post as I've just come across this site.

I've recently just come over from overseas on a working holiday visa (yes another one). I am in the IT Risk and Security industry and was told that demand here outstrips supply. Well its been 6 weeks since I've arrived and I've had 1 interview! (I actually succeeded the interview but then the company issued a hiring freeze!)

What's happened to our market? Is the credit crisis really causing such a massive downturn? Or is it just me?

Originally posted by jj0007 View Post
    Is the credit crisis really causing such a massive downturn?
    Yes. Next.

Comment

The contracts on jobserve for that market have dropped in the past few weeks (I've checked) however they seem to have picked up around the middle of this week, might just be a random spike or the same gig listed multiple times of course but the sec/risk industry seems to be doing ok; it's the fear you see!
      B00med!

Comment

I am in the IT Risk and Security industry and was told that demand here outstrips supply.
        True, but anyone who knows anything about that market in the UK knows that you need have a certain surname or are related in someway. One of them even works at one of my clients in Denmark...

As to the rest of that market in the UK: it's full of bluffers.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Forget the work, just have the holiday

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            True, but anyone who knows anything about that market in the UK knows that you need have a certain surname or are related in someway.
            Bond?
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              As to the rest of that market in the UK: it's full of bluffers.
              errr is now the time to say ??
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Hi all. This is my first post as I've just come across this site.

I've recently just come over from overseas on a working holiday visa (yes another one). I am in the IT Risk and Security industry and was told that demand here outstrips supply. Well its been 6 weeks since I've arrived and I've had 1 interview! (I actually succeeded the interview but then the company issued a hiring freeze!)

What's happened to our market? Is the credit crisis really causing such a massive downturn? Or is it just me?
                Lower your rate, jobs will come.

There is still plenty out there from what I see, just rates are lower than this time last year.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Bond?
                  B00med!

Comment

bagpuss, you seem to have some tulip on your avatar.. might need cleaning off.. hth

bring back the cat
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X