• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Works laptop for home internet access....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Works laptop for home internet access....

My works access will not work on the internet at home.

Connects to my wireless network ok, but, no internet page will display.

Account was locked down as user, but, using a 'God' account I have managed to upgrade from 'User' to 'Administrator'. Allows me to change date, etc, but, not make any registry changes. However, the God account also works offline, and allows any change.

Anyone got any ideas about why internet will not work?

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    My works access will not work on the internet at home.

Connects to my wireless network ok, but, no internet page will display.

Account was locked down as user, but, using a 'God' account I have managed to upgrade from 'User' to 'Administrator'. Allows me to change date, etc, but, not make any registry changes. However, the God account also works offline, and allows any change.

Anyone got any ideas about why internet will not work?
    Most likely because it is configured to use a proxy server...
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
      Most likely because it is configured to use a proxy server...
      Makes sense.

How can I bypass this, and re-enstate the proxy server once back in the office?

Comment

Oh for heaven's sake don't you have another computer to use at home? You're really reduced to the work's laptop?

You might be as well to set up another user account on it and change the settings in there (Internet Explorer / Options / Connection Settings) rather than screw up the works settings.

Comment

Makes sense.

Easiest way is to download another web browser i.e firefox, install it and start using it. So you use IE at work and a different browser i.e. firefox at home.

Otherwise you have to go to tools-> internet settings -> connections -> Lan settings and unclick the use a proxy server box.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Easiest way is to download another web browser i.e firefox, install it and start using it. So you use IE at work and a different browser i.e. firefox at home.

Otherwise you have to go to tools-> internet settings -> connections -> Lan settings and unclick the use a proxy server box.
            Okay, I have been unable to untick the use a proxy server box on my so called administrator account, but, was able to do this on the God account, although, STILL unable to access the internet!

Will try installing Firefox / Opera on memory stick and running the internet from this - however, given that the proxy settings changed still disables I do not hold much hope.

Why do firms make access so restricting? I really do not want to lug two laptops about just to gain internet access when working away!!

Any more ideas?

Comment

Okay, I have been unable to untick the use a proxy server box on my so called administrator account, but, was able to do this on the God account, although, STILL unable to access the internet!

Will try installing Firefox / Opera on memory stick and running the internet from this - however, given that the proxy settings changed still disables I do not hold much hope.

Why do firms make access so restricting? I really do not want to lug two laptops about just to gain internet access when working away!!

Any more ideas?
              Download and burn an Ubuntu Live CD. Boot from it when you're away, problem solved.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                Download and burn an Ubuntu Live CD. Boot from it when you're away, problem solved.
                Not comfortable with installing another operating system.

Anyone else any ideas? Tried un-ticking specifying a DNS address to acquire automatically - still no joy. Must be something sooo simple, surely??

Comment

Booting it from the CD won't install it, it will just run it from the CD.....
                  Still Invoicing

Comment

Any more ideas?
                    Oh come ON! you really can't work it out?

Please package your laptop up, hand it back and tell them that you can't be trusted.

/Pet hate; people attempting to bypass the security restrictions that are there for a reason!
                    B00med!

Comment

Working...
                    X