• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PM, PM or PM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM, PM or PM

Ok can some one please tell me the real world difference between Project Management, Programme Management and Portfolio Management. I know what google says so please spare me that. I want to know practically what the differences are please.

Please do not abuse Franko or the atheists - thank you (or me!!!)
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Asfaik

And this is only going by how the big consultancies structure it.

Project management
    - day to day hands on management of a project

Programme management is either:
    - responsibility at equivalent of steering committee level for several projects. Usually hands off but there to oversee the whole shebang and escalate issues.
    OR
    - responsibility for a single client to ensure multiple paralell projects work in tandem

The programme manager is the project managers manager

Portfolio management - never heard of it in IT but my best guess would be some form of client relationship manager - i.e. looking after a portfolio of clients

Comment

In the business I work in (automotive electronics) it goes like this:-

Project manager is responsible part of a particular product (e.g. hardware or software), or for a small product which is integrated into a larger one to be sold (e.g. a sensor)

Programme Manager is responsible for the overall product.

Portfolio manager is responsible for all products sold to a particular customer (e.g. a vehicle manufacturer).

Comment

Okay, my definition...

Project Management is the management of a project. By that I mean a distinct piece of work with a finite duration and some output. This is distinct from 'business as usual'. A project can be big or small (for example, building a new IT system, an office move, etc.)

Programme Management is concerned with benefits and outcomes rather than outputs. For example, a project might achieve its objective (delivery of a new IT system) but fail to deliver the anticipated benefits associated with that. Programme Management ensures the benefits are delivered and that the projects under its control operate to the greatest possible efficiency (e.g. distributing work and resources, using synergies).
        Crudely, a programme is much larger than a project (e.g. transforming the way a company operates, of which building a new IT system is one project, launching a sales training course is another, etc.) and can govern several projects (or streams), and has a longer duration. The projects composing a programme normally have some sort of association (e.g. working towards an ultimate common goal, or parts of that goal).

Portfolio Management is the management of a slate of projects which are not necessarily connected.
        Last edited by WageSlave; 2 August 2005, 13:16.
        Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Ok guys thanks I shall organise a meeting with a Project Manager, Programme Manager and Portfolio Manager on all the same subject tomorrow. Wonder who comes up with the goods?
          Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

I don't know if it's worse to be associated with an atheist or with you. I don't care honestly.

However, Microsoft has a specific task divisions between programme and project manager. Programme manager has got more to do with scheduling resources while product manager is more busy with customer expectations. There is no such thing as project mgr in MSF. I do believe their theory is not to be overlooked.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
              Ok guys thanks I shall organise a meeting with a Project Manager, Programme Manager and Portfolio Manager on all the same subject tomorrow. Wonder who comes up with the goods?

I wonder what the subject will be...

"Does Christianity have a place in the day to day working environment?"

Comment

Project managers get paid too much.
                Programme managers get paid way, way too much.
                Portfolio managers probably get paid too much but I've no idea what that is in relation to IT.

Although the rare PM I come across can sometimes earn their money, most are feckin useless. Especially the PRINCE 2 ones.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                  Although the rare PM I come across can sometimes earn their money, most are feckin useless. Especially the PRINCE 2 ones.
                  I think that applies to the majority of staff, not just project managers. I've met one outstanding project/programme manager in my time, a few decents ones and plenty of morons ("So, WS, what is a Programme Management Office?").
                  Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Snaw I don't think project managers get paid too much. Well, not good ones anyway. Think about everything a good PM will do: shelter their teams from company politics, argue your technical points at non techy meetings, initiate and manage your relationships with other teams, and ultimately have full responsibility etc etc. Very useful tasks that us techies don't really like doing.

But true, many of them don't do that and are just glorified MS Project monkeys, and those are way overpaid, true.
                    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X