• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Karl Rove. Nice guy.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karl Rove. Nice guy.

I find this quite scary, if it is indeed true.

From NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/02/opinion/02mon1.html

Mr. Rove Talks, but Doesn’t Answer

In a recent appearance on “This Week With George Stephanopoulos,” Karl Rove was asked if he had a role in the Justice Department’s decision to prosecute Don Siegelman. The former Democratic governor of Alabama was convicted and sentenced to more than seven years, quite possibly for political reasons, and there is evidence that Mr. Rove may have been pulling the strings.

Mr. Rove, who has traded in his White House job for that of talking head, talked a lot but didn’t answer the question. He also did not directly deny being involved. The House Judiciary Committee has subpoenaed him to testify. It should do everything in its power to see that he does and that he answers all of its questions.

Mr. Siegelman — who began serving his sentence before being freed on appeal — was convicted on corruption charges that appear to be flimsy, and his supporters have long insisted that he was prosecuted for partisan reasons. Until his indictment, he was the Democrats’ best chance of taking back the Alabama governorship.

After Mr. Siegelman’s conviction, Dana Jill Simpson, a Republican lawyer, swore in an affidavit that she had heard another G.O.P. political operative, Bill Canary, boast in a phone call that his wife would “take care” of Mr. Siegelman and that Mr. Rove was involved in the planning. Mr. Canary’s wife is Leura Canary, the United States attorney for Montgomery, and her office prosecuted Mr. Siegelman.

The House Judiciary Committee has prepared a report on the Siegelman case, and several other questionable prosecutions. Ms. Simpson told the committee staff under oath that Rob Riley — the son of Alabama’s Republican governor, Bob Riley — told her that his father and Mr. Canary discussed the Siegelman case with Mr. Rove. She said the younger Mr. Riley also told her that Mr. Rove had spoken to the Justice Department’s Public Integrity Section about getting Mr. Siegelman indicted.

If these charges are true, they suggest that the justice system was turned into a partisan tool, and that Mr. Siegelman’s freedom may have been taken away because of his political allegiances.

Mr. Rove has already defied a Senate subpoena on the issue of politicized prosecutions, claiming executive privilege, and he seems intent on defying the House’s subpoena. His claim of executive privilege is not only weak; it is shamefully cynical.

If he was drumming up political prosecutions in the Justice Department, and talking about it with operatives in Alabama, those conversations are not privileged. And if there is any privilege to be protected — such as a conversation with the president that did not involve illegality — he would still need to show up in Congress and plead the privilege to specific questions.

It is time for Michael Mukasey, the attorney general, to stand up for justice by enforcing Congress’s subpoenas. If he will not do that, Congress must ensure that its investigative authority is not thwarted.

Mr. Rove seems willing to talk about this case everywhere except where he is required to: in Congress, in public, under oath. The American people, and Mr. Siegelman, are counting on Congress to find out the truth.
    It would fit in with how I view the current administration - I get the feeling that if the whole truth comes out they'll make Nixon look like Mother Theresa ...
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

so, this guys dips his hands in the trough for some back handers and suddenly he is innocent?

Interesting that note the person who made the initial allegation about Rove "politically neutralizing" this geezer has changed the story more times than Snaw has had sex (not including the use of Mrs Palmer, of course).

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
      so, this guys dips his hands in the trough for some back handers and suddenly he is innocent?

Interesting that note the person who made the initial allegation about Rove "politically neutralizing" this geezer has changed the story more times than Snaw has had sex (not including the use of Mrs Palmer, of course).

Mailman
      Guess some things need explaining to the hard of understanding. The issue isn't that the guy was, or wasn't guilty - but that he was targeted on the basis of his politics, at least that how it appears. Kind of like a police state, and deeply disturbing.

Rubbish analogy BTW. Not really sure if you're slagging me off or complementing me, or indeed what your point is. Please try harder MM.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post

Mailman
        He was freed on appeal. That suggests the courts found him innocent and wrongly convicted.
        HTH

Jeez, where do we get these cretins from?
        Last edited by sasguru; 2 June 2008, 13:41.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
          Guess some things need explaining to the hard of understanding. The issue isn't that the guy was, or wasn't guilty - but that he was targeted on the basis of his politics, at least that how it appears. Kind of like a police state, and deeply disturbing.
          Again, the person who made the allegations about over hearing someone saying something about neutralizing someone...has changed their story a number of times, which sorta raises questions about that persons motives in making the allegations in the first place.

Rubbish analogy BTW. Not really sure if you're slagging me off or complementing me, or indeed what your point is. Please try harder MM.
          I know, it was a bit high brow for you, old boy

Mailman

Comment

A little info on the person making all the claims;

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/clay-wa...m-dem-governor

guru said;
            He was freed on appeal. That suggests the courts found him innocent and wrongly convicted.
            HTH
            Really? wrongly convicted you say? Not according to this;

Mr. Siegelman served nine months while his lawyers appealed a federal judge’s refusal to release him on bond, pending the ex-governor’s appeal of his conviction.
            http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/29/wa...=1&oref=slogin

So, he has only been freed, pending his appeal...he hasnt been cleared of anything has he? HTH I guess

And yet, its Rove getting fingered harder than a 2p whore...even though the floosy who made all the original allegations never even met the guy, never heard him being refered to in name, never spoke to the fulla...yet its still all Roves fault?

Go figure!

Mailman

Comment

You're absolutely right MM. Karl Rove doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd manipulate the judicial system for political purposes ... or indeed manipulate anything for political purposes ...

Comment

Considering the allegation came from a rabid democrat (supposedly working for the republicans) I think this one can be put to bed as nothing more than someone trying to politicaly neutralize poor, innocent Karl

Mailman

Comment

Maybe it's former Torry leader Michael Howard getting his own back, after Karl Rove slammed the phone down on him and refused to deal with the Tories for some time after.

I think that happened around the time the War in Iraq started, and was probably related, but I forget the details.

Comment

More about Mr Rove:

"On August 29, 2003, retired ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV claimed that Rove leaked the identity of Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, as a Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) employee,[52] in retaliation for Wilson's op-ed in The New York Times in which he criticized the Bush administration's citation of the yellowcake documents among the justifications for the War in Iraq enumerated in Bush's 2003 State of the Union Address".

Source.

But hey, guess there must be a big conspiracy against Mr Rove, eh MM.

Comment

Working...
                    X