• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

advice needed on clean up job where I flooded down stairs flat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice needed on clean up job where I flooded down stairs flat

advice needed on clean up job where last week I flooded down stairs flat (due to a blocked toilet which was not my fault).

I flushed an empty toilet in my flat and it was blocked so it spilt over and I got a slight drip down stairs in a neighbours flat.

Question is the neighbours are getting worried about 'dry rot' etc. and they claim that little black spots (probably mildew) have appeared in the corner or the ceiling where there is is a wooden panel (or something).

Question is what would be needed for this clean up job ? a crew to come out with a ladder and some disenfectant and some drying materials ? Can the wood and ceiling / wall plaster be dried / treated by a damp proof team ?

I just don't want to get ripped off for 1K. the area affected is like 10 sq/ feet max. and its along one wall and the ceiling part.

any Advice ? Our Service Charge company is being very tardy in sorting this out, something next to useless.

Insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      advice needed on clean up job where last week I flooded down stairs flat (due to a blocked toilet which was not my fault).

I flushed an empty toilet in my flat and it was blocked so it spilt over and I got a slight drip down stairs in a neighbours flat.

Question is the neighbours are getting worried about 'dry rot' etc. and they claim that little black spots (probably mildew) have appeared in the corner or the ceiling where there is is a wooden panel (or something).

Question is what would be needed for this clean up job ? a crew to come out with a ladder and some disenfectant and some drying materials ? Can the wood and ceiling / wall plaster be dried / treated by a damp proof team ?

I just don't want to get ripped off for 1K. the area affected is like 10 sq/ feet max. and its along one wall and the ceiling part.

any Advice ? Our Service Charge company is being very tardy in sorting this out, something next to useless.
      None of the things you mention would occur from a small drip.
      Dry rot is not caused by flooding.
      Mildew is caused by having damp stuff in a nice warm environment.
      The mildew could occur from a small flood drying out, but a wipe of disinfectant once the area is dry will cure it and would then need repainting.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
      X