• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advise on forthcoming contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise on forthcoming contract

Hello all

I was wondering if I could pick your brains!

I might be taking an IT sales contract in London for 4 months. This is my FIRST contract so am a little green when it comes to the most cost effective way of dealing with it.

I am emigrating to Australia in November so this is to tide me over until then but, to get to the point, what is the best way of dealing with the tax implications seeing as it is such a short period? Should I use one of these umbrella companies, set myself up as a limited company or do IR35?....or should I just declare it by self assesment for the end of the year??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ollie

Just use an umbrella company. You'll be slightly worse off than using a limited company (you can't just work as a sole trader and declare on personal tax return) but it will be a whole lot less hassle and won't have to worry about 101 extra things to sort out before you go.
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Form a 'proper' company, register for VAT etc. Don't pay a penny to the revenue boys when it's due. They'll send a few letters but just ignore them.

Spend like mad on whatever you want, Just not on things they can trace to Oz.

In November, empty the bank account of what little is left in cash and leg it.

Sod hector

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Form a 'proper' company, register for VAT etc. Don't pay a penny to the revenue boys when it's due. They'll send a few letters but just ignore them.

Spend like mad on whatever you want, Just not on things they can trace to Oz.

In November, empty the bank account of what little is left in cash and leg it.

Sod hector

It might seem far fetched, but the OP may one day want to come back.

Have to agree with going Umbrella for such a short period of time.

Comment

Umbrella all the way.

Comment

Working...
          X