• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£199 laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£199 laptop

Knocks spots off the Eee?

Comes with a choice of Linux with 8 GB of solid-state storage for £199, or XP Home with 80GB hard drive and lower battery life for £299.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06..._launches_one/

Having seen the build quality on my brothers Acer, I'm not interested.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Having seen the build quality on my brothers Acer, I'm not interested.
      I thought the same after my last Acer, said I would never get another.

However I was persuaded to earlier this year, and am amazed at the difference in build quality.
      Admitidley the last one was about £400 2 years ago and this one was closer to £800...

So for £200, it'll probably fall to bits by the end of the summer holidays....
      Still Invoicing

Comment

I quite like the look of the HP MiniNote.

Better pictures available elsewhere but looks nicer - bit pricier though.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          I quite like the look of the HP MiniNote.

Better pictures available elsewhere but looks nicer - bit pricier though.
          Is the HP MiniNote graphics chip carp though (i.e not even good enough to play YouTube videos properly)? That's what some of the comments in the Acer column were suggesting. From first impressions, the Acer looks to have few of these kind of weaknesses, save perhaps a fairly low graphics resolution and an as yet unknown build quality.
          Last edited by TimberWolf; 4 June 2008, 10:33.

Comment

I'm all for the cheaper laptops. I've never spent above £400 on a lappy and don't believe I ever will.

Depends what you want. I just want something to write word docs on, a bit of project, visio, surfin, remote access and occasional visual studio for knocking up a utility to help me do something.

If I'm walking around with a cheaper lappy then I don't care about throwing it into the boot of the car, it getting crushed on the tube, me dropping it or it getting robbed.

£300-£400 buys you something pretty good these days. That said, I've always bought HP laptops and they've never let me down.

The £199 acer looks ok for surfin on the sofa. Not sure why it's £299 if you choose XP over Linux. OEM XP doesn't cost that much and you could buy a better lappy for £299 with Vista on it.

I can see it selling pretty well though.
            Last edited by miffy; 4 June 2008, 12:27. Reason: sp-hell-ing
            Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
              The £199 acer looks ok for surfin on the sofa. Not sure why it's £299 if you choose XP over Linux. OEM XP doesn't cost that much and you could buy a better lappy for £299 with Vista on it.
              It's probably due to a combination of the XP license and the hard drive - and, of course, the shorter battery life

Comment

The inclusion of the hard drive probably explains the reduced battery power.

Does anyone own their own XP/Vista disc so they could install Windows using that? If so, would Windows Update detect and refuse to update? My last PC came with Windows installed, and no CD.

Comment

Windows Update will not work if the XP installtion has not been 'activated'.

Activation requires a licence code, and if you try to activate the same licence code too many times Windows Update will stop working.

(MS allow a certain number of activations per licence for reinstalls after crashes, new hardware etc... I think the number is 3).
                  Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                    Windows Update will not work if the XP installtion has not been 'activated'.

Activation requires a licence code, and if you try to activate the same licence code too many times Windows Update will stop working.

(MS allow a certain number of activations per licence for reinstalls after crashes, new hardware etc... I think the number is 3).
                    I imagine Windows only installs to a hard-drive (rather than a solid state storage) anyway?

Comment

Working...
                    X