• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Contact Primer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Contact Primer

In light of a few decisions recently where end clients' comments to the Special Commissioners have not helped some folks cases, is there a handy (one page? available on the internet?) document detailing:

IR35 issues
    reasons for working practices
    anything else they need to know
    etc etc

Maybe in a Q&A format?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Your end client couldn't give a stuff about IR35 and chances are Hector will talk to some HR slag who doesn't know her arse from her elbow (and has never heard of you let alone met you in the 3 years since you finished the gig).

So, no, to answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
      Your end client couldn't give a stuff about IR35 and chances are Hector will talk to some HR slag who doesn't know her arse from her elbow (and has never heard of you let alone met you in the 3 years since you finished the gig).

So, no, to answer your question.
      Got your cynical pants on today then...

And FWIW, HR haven't got a clue I'm even on-site. Benefits of going direct to the commercial ops team and negotiating contracts with them.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

No, just got my realistic pants on. If Hector knocks on your clients door asking questions their first priority is to help themselves. Easiest thing is to get rid of IR35 but that's not going to happen. Unless the Tories grow some balls anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          In light of a few decisions recently where end clients' comments to the Special Commissioners have not helped some folks cases, is there a handy (one page? available on the internet?) document detailing:

IR35 issues
          reasons for working practices
          anything else they need to know
          etc etc

Maybe in a Q&A format?
          Not quite there, but a good starter for ten perhaps...

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...124&Itemid=217
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Not quite there, but a good starter for ten perhaps...

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...124&Itemid=217
            Good one.

Comment

That is a realy good idea, but......... there is always a but isn't there.....
              There is no incentive for clients or agents to support us. We are powerless. If we remove our services they will find someone else and we end up without work.
              The revenue has teeth and when they turn up at the clients doorstep the client is inclined to talk to them. You always feel like you are guilty of something even if you are under no threat yourself and it is easier to point the dogs at someone else.

Why there are no consequences for clients and agents escapes me. Labour laws were introduced in this country to protect the work force from exploitation. They were introduced to give workers rights to holidays, pensions and sick pay.
              When the client says they were using us as permatemps they are clearly stating that they have circumvented those laws.
              Sure we are well compensated for that, but once we have paid the IR35 bill that compensation is much reduced.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Got your cynical pants on today then...

And FWIW, HR haven't got a clue I'm even on-site. Benefits of going direct to the commercial ops team and negotiating contracts with them.
                That wouldn't necessarily help - if Hector goes to HR and asks, for example, "Would you allow substitution" and HR say "No, that's against company policy" then you're probably stuffed.

The fact that HR had never heard of you wouldn't make much difference - you'd still have a battle on your hands, and the person you actually dealt with might not be comfortable standing up in public and stating that they agreed contracts which directly contravened their employer's policies.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  That wouldn't necessarily help - if Hector goes to HR and asks, for example, "Would you allow substitution" and HR say "No, that's against company policy" then you're probably stuffed.

The fact that HR had never heard of you wouldn't make much difference - you'd still have a battle on your hands, and the person you actually dealt with might not be comfortable standing up in public and stating that they agreed contracts which directly contravened their employer's policies.
                  Well, in which case I'd be forced to sue the engaging client for any fines incurred.

Comment

Well, in which case I'd be forced to sue the engaging client for any fines incurred.
                    It will probably turn out that it is the agent you should be sueing.
                    In many of these cases that I have read the contractor has a contract stating their terms, but it is between them and the agent. The agent will tell you that it is back to back with the client agent contract. When these cases come to court it turns out the client would never have agreed to the terms in the contractors contract.
                    Who do you think is guilty?

I have often asked that my contract contains a clause stating that it does not conflict with the client/agent contract and that if it does my contract is correct. If an agent refuses I assume that there is something dodgy going on and walk away.
                    Not sure it would protect me in an investigation, but it does show I have tried to make sure my terms are correct.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X