• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Road tax - "green tax" rise for older cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road tax - "green tax" rise for older cars

Anyone here with a car registered after March 2001 that emits more than 225g of CO2 per km is now going to have to pay £300 pa for road tax and £430 pa from 2010.

Add to this a 2p increase on fuel duty, and it's "fair" to say you'll be doing your bit to keep green.

New Labour, tough on C02, tough on the causes of CO2.

Yay mines only 212g so it only goes up to £310 in 2010...

I'm selling it soon before word gets around and the bottom falls out the market for sportier models.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Anyone here with a car registered after March 2001 that emits more than 225g of CO2 per km is now going to have to pay £300 pa for road tax and £430 pa from 2010.

Add to this a 2p increase on fuel duty, and it's "fair" to say you'll be doing your bit to keep green.

New Labour, tough on C02, tough on the causes of CO2.
      Quite right too. Residual value of my Aygo (Class1, 65 mpg, tiny emissions, £35 tax) is going up by the day.

All this is as it should be. Meanwhile the war chest is growing.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Quite right too. Residual value of my Aygo (Class1, 65 mpg, tiny emissions, £35 tax) is going up by the day.

All this is as it should be. Meanwhile the war chest is growing.
        If only you'd stop wasting it all on Pot Noodles....

Comment

Citroen C1 here. £35 a year.

Whilst I'm not complaining about the cheap VED, I'm not quite convinced there's that much difference between the little cars and the big cars. Still, if that's what they've decided then who am I to complain?

Also, although my C1 looks tiny when it's parked next to most other cars, I happened to pull into a space next to an old style Mini the other day and was shocked to find how big the C1 looked next to it. Those Minis really were quite incredible.

Comment

How is raising the road tax fair or going to lower CO2 output?
            Shouldn't the increase be put on the fuel duty since CO2 is proportional to the amount of petrol burned?
            On another topic, if you become a vegetarian and reduce you CO2 footprint by not having animals bred for your lunch. Shouldn't you be allowed to keep the SUV and get a road tax exemption?

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
              How is raising the road tax fair or going to lower CO2 output?
              Shouldn't the increase be put on the fuel duty since CO2 is proportional to the amount of petrol burned?
              On another topic, if you become a vegetarian and reduce you CO2 footprint by not having animals bred for your lunch. Shouldn't you be allowed to keep the SUV and get a road tax exemption?
              Fuel prices are rocketing too, haven't you heard?
              Fair enough I say, it's a tax on stupid people who think a big car gives them "status". Most of them have got a loan out to pay for it as well.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
                No, because your farts from eating lentils and brocolli will more than compensate in greenhouse emissions.
                Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

One of my mates who hasn't got a pot to piss in is going to have to fork out £210 for a Renault Scenic 1.4!
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                    Citroen C1 here. £35 a year.

Ah a sister car. Perhaps I paid over the odds for a Toyota badge seeing as they're made in the same factory. Like my local Toyota dealer though.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X