• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Repay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Repay

Discovered today that the HMRC have made a deposit into my account, the deposit said VAT Repay .. it was the total amount I had to pay last time... what's going on? why are they returning/repaying my VAT?

Anyone else had this?

I paid ontime and online.. they had the correct reference No (obviously to enable return)

They're incompetent fools. Once they've realised their mistake, they'll probably try to fine you.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      They're incompetent fools. Once they've realised their mistake, they'll probably try to fine you.

HTH
      Yeh I gathered as much will speak to my accountant... I jsut haven't got the time to phone them and make the usual run around to investigate...

Comment

They did that to me. They then realised their mistake and sent me a snotty demand including a £100 fine. Rang them to sort it and they insisted it was my fault even though they had cahsed a cheque then credited me online. I argued the fine away.
        Once it was sorted I then got a letter telling me if I was late again the fine would go up.

It doesnt matter what you do Sandy, you are just going to have to wait till they realise and then pay up (argue about the fine) and suffer all their incompetance.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          They did that to me. They then realised their mistake and sent me a snotty demand including a £100 fine. Rang them to sort it and they insisted it was my fault even though they had cahsed a cheque then credited me online. I argued the fine away.
          Once it was sorted I then got a letter telling me if I was late again the fine would go up.

It doesnt matter what you do Sandy, you are just going to have to wait till they realise and then pay up (argue about the fine) and suffer all their incompetance.

Comment

OK I just downloaded all my statments from online, and looked into my businesses VAT papers... its all my stupid fault... I paid my VAT the usual way online, and I forgot lat time I paid, I set up a direct debit for them to collect the money (yes am a fool )... hence they were paid twice .... I can't believe I didn't notice that I paid the tax man twice !!! am sooo stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
              OK I just downloaded all my statments from online, and looked into my businesses VAT papers... its all my stupid fault... I paid my VAT the usual way online, and I forgot lat time I paid, I set up a direct debit for them to collect the money (yes am a fool )... hence they were paid twice .... I can't believe I didn't notice that I paid the tax man twice !!! am sooo stupid.

Contractor stylee... "Yeah, I don't even notice if I pay my tax twice"

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
                Blimey, just think yourself lucky they spotted your mistake and gave you your cash back!

I didn't think they did things like that. My faith in the tax system is now restored
                Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
                  Blimey, just think yourself lucky they spotted your mistake and gave you your cash back!

I didn't think they did things like that. My faith in the tax system is now restored
                  I wouldn't go that far

Comment

I know several contractors who always pay a little too much, just to fsck with them. Apparently it costs the IR etc. a fair wad to sort out.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X