• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Road Tax future – crushing High Emissions car prices.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Tax future – crushing High Emissions car prices.

The government is targeting an average of 140 CO2 emissions over the next few years.
    The VED rates will jump significantly for higher emission cars – 200 plus. ( A 200 plus car would be taxed 210 GBP from next year and 300 from 2010 , and god knows what after )

So , not a good time to buy 200 CO2 plus car …… Prices are likely for steep drops.

http://www.motorstoday.co.uk/CAR-TAX...EBOMB.568.news

Excellent news as I am planning on buying something like a Merc SL 55 AMG next year.

Hopefully the road tax increase will mean I can pick one up for a few £££.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Excellent news as I am planning on buying something like a Merc SL 55 AMG next year.

Hopefully the road tax increase will mean I can pick one up for a few £££.

This was my thought too, the cost of the increased road tax will be more than offset by the resultant price drops for bigger cars.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Are you sure that somebody who can afford to spend 40k upwards on a car will be worried about a couple of hundred extra a year? I can't see much of a downwards trend in gas guzzler prices myself.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
          Are you sure that somebody who can afford to spend 40k upwards on a car will be worried about a couple of hundred extra a year? I can't see much of a downwards trend in gas guzzler prices myself.
          It's not the person who can spend 40k who'll be affected. It's the person spending 3 or 4K on a 5 year old Mondeo.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            It's not the person who can spend 40k who'll be affected. It's the person spending 3 or 4K on a 5 year old Mondeo.
            You mean Labour voters?

Comment

I'm working on Parker's at the minute (you know the car price people) and their website is being inundated with comments from angry punters who are claiming they'll need to sell their car because it's going up another 200 a year from 2010.

They obviously don't realise that 200 will be two tanks of unleaded by then, and is such a trifle it's hardly worth worrying about compared with the running costs.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Looks like the residuals on my hybrid will be cracking then!!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  And hence the backwards nature of this tax. The rich could afford to pay a lot more for their vehicles. But, as most of them have direct lines to Gordo's brain - it doesn't happen. So it gets put on us poor sods.

I somehow sense that in the future there will be a lot more uninsured and untaxed vehicles on the road.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    .. I somehow sense that in the future there will be a lot more uninsured and untaxed vehicles on the road.
                    and a lot more Tory MPs

Comment

Working...
                    X