• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poll: Long or Short contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: Long or Short contracts?

I prefer short contracts (3 - 6 months at a time), anything longer feels just to, well permie really.

Most of the contracts I seem to get offered are 6 months+ though.

I did manage to talk the renewals in my current gig down to 3 month stints but I could see they weren't keen.

Poll coming soon...
    3 months
    23.68%
    6 months
    44.74%
    12 months
    23.68%
    > 12 months - secretly I wanna be a permie
    7.89%
    Last edited by kali; 5 June 2008, 11:14.
    Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
    "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
    Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

I prefer short to start with, with the option for 3 month renewals. I'm much more likely to stay with a place if I only need to look at a max of 12 weeks head.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I've never had a contract that was more than 3 months at the start.

I've almost always been extended though. The longest stint I've done was 18 months.

Comment

I can't see the option for " 2 weeks or less "..

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          John Menzies.
          Pleased to meet you. How are the newsagents going?

Comment

I usually like three months as a starting point, although I've always been extended (on three-monthers) by at least one month. Longest single stint was 23 months.

My last two have been six months (although the second was cut to five months due to rapidly-changing circumstances at the client). But they were both such high-profile opportunities (within the industry) that it was well worth making the extra commitment just for the future kudos of having them on my past client list

Comment

I had quite a few short contracts mostly 3 months, two 2 months and another 1 month. Agents always comment on the shortness as if it is a crime.......they do not seem to comprehend that you want to do the job and get out - not get a perm postion!

Anybody else have this issue? If so how do you deal with it?

Comment

Originally posted by jo99 View Post
                Anybody else have this issue? If so how do you deal with it?
                "Yes, I like to get the job done efficiently. I'm not one of these contractors who milks it out to the bitter end"

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                  "Yes, I like to get the job done efficiently. I'm not one of these contractors who milks it out to the bitter end"
                  How is that going to get the agent more money for less effort?
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

True, but any other excuse makes you look like a quitter.

Comment

Working...
                    X