• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting take on custody post divorce

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting take on custody post divorce

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-children.html

Makes interesting comparisons...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Fathers 4 justice is starting to have an effect?

But interesting that there are no figures in the article - just a few cases and loads of daily mail rubbish.

"'There's no gender discrimination in the courts,' says Elizabeth Hicks, partner and head of family law at solicitors Irwin Mitchell. " Heard that loads of times over last 5 years - even when 92% of women get custody(4% shared) and 60% of mem lose contact with their children.

Dont believe what you read in the press. Especially true of rags like the mail.

Though I wish it were true.....

Comment

Actually yeah, I should have been a bit clearer it was the daily mail...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Karen recalls how she was described in court by her former husband's barrister: 'He painted a picture of me as a hard-faced woman who was more interested in board meetings than school plays,' she says. 'It was so far from the truth.'

Barrister, truth ...... that's where you're going wrong, see?

Comment

What followed was a traumatic court battle which saw a judge hand custody of her eight-year-old son and six-year-old daughter to their father, who lives on benefits in a council house.

To add insult to injury, the judge ordered Karen to pay maintenance to her former husband.

If he'd been the one on the six-figure salary and she'd looked after the children, she'd have got the house as well as maintenance.

Don't know they're born some people - mainly female Daily Mail readers. "Insult to injury" my

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            What followed was a traumatic court battle which saw a judge hand custody of her eight-year-old son and six-year-old daughter to their father, who lives on benefits in a council house.

To add insult to injury, the judge ordered Karen to pay maintenance to her former husband.

If he'd been the one on the six-figure salary and she'd looked after the children, she'd have got the house as well as maintenance.

Don't know they're born some people - mainly female Daily Mail readers. "Insult to injury" my
            Good point - I hadn't thought of that!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
              OMG! I think I know her!

Comment

Just noticed the final sentence:

But the truth, however unpalatable, is that equality goes both ways.

Maybe the clue lies somewhere in the definition of "equality"

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Just noticed the final sentence:

But the truth, however unpalatable, is that equality goes both ways.

Maybe the clue lies somewhere in the definition of "equality"
                  Good point - but I still think if women want equality at work then men should have equality at home.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Good point - but I still think if women want equality at work then men should have equality at home.
                    Yes, I'm afraid to say that none of the happenings that shocked the women would have drawn any comment if they had happened to the men in a comparable situation. So yes, they obviously do expect to get custody just because they are female.

Comment

Working...
                    X